When choosing a new domain name, which naming convention do you use?

OrganizedFellow

When creating a new site + domain for a personal use, like portfolio, etc.
What naming convention do you use?

I'm thinking firstNameInitial + middleNameInitial + lastName .com
ABSmith.com
CDRoberts.com
Like that.

or do you prefer firstName + middleInitial + lastName .com?
AlbertBSmith.com
CharlesDRoberts.com
Better?

Which do you do?

Regarding a person's name, I would spell it out rather than use initials due to possible acronym conflicts.

That said, it is more difficult today to find 'your name'.com available than 20 years ago.

Also might want to consider whether seo is necessary. For example, whole name search results are far more 'fine' than using initials (again, acronyms).

just my $.02  :)

• Like 1

... it is more difficult today to find 'your name'.com available than 20 years ago.

... whole name search results are far more 'fine' than using initials (again, acronyms).

just my $.02  :)

Sadly the name combination I wanted was taken up. So I had to go with XYLastname.

I never realized my First + Last was so common!!!

• Like 1

Was desperate to get my surname on South Africa's TLD (co.za), but it's reserved. Unfortunately, the owner won't give it up either, making claims about using it for business in the future. (This claim was made a long time ago, and the domain is still not being used - maybe for email only.)

Wouldn't be so keen on the initials method - seems kinda weird. Though, if it has to be done, then it has to be done...

Via NameCheap, it is $1.88.

I checked on Google Domains, and it's $9. I wonder why the price difference?

Well, the registry expects everyone to charge respectable/decent/competitive prices - because the price is so low, nobody is really going to argue about it.

I paid just over $2 after currency conversion from South African Rands - was charged R31.14. Interestingly, however, renewals are R141.14... Kinda strange.

• Like 1