FYI - ApiGen for PW

charliez

This looks very interesting--thanks for setting this up charliez!

I do worry a little about documentation like this, because it steps outside of our public API. I don't consider every function in PW to be part of the public API that folks should use (the majority of it is not). ProcessWire isn't meant to be that low-level of a framework. There are so many components that are really just there to support the public API, rather than be part of it. Looking at the docs in this manner loses all context of that. The cheatsheet really has the right context.

I would just suggest that people use our regular API docs (especially the cheatsheet) and then use something like this apigen documentation for zeroing in on more detail about a specific function or class, if they need it. I think the apigen documentation could really be useful for contextual links to more detailed function reference, where applicable (like in links from the cheatsheet). But I don't suggest integrating functions that aren't in the cheatsheet into your projects. The public API in ProcessWire is a constant, but everything else can change with versions.

Also, I'm not so sure what I think about this service hosting our documentation (I don't know them well enough yet), so I went ahead and copied it to here: http://processwire.com/apigen/

• Like 1

I agree with you Ryan. Once I had the time to browse the API docs I came to the same conclusion.

I think that your idea of linking the proper info to the cheatsheet would make for the best

resource. And leave this API doc for more indepth study of PW, or for the discovery of more

internal methods and functions when developing more advanced modules.

Let me know if you prefer to have them removed from the Czech project and I will contact them to

have it removed from their page...

No need to remove it Charliez. Hopefully some other people will see it there and decide they want to check out ProcessWire. :) I'm pretty impressed with apigen's results. Seems like a lot less hassle than the old PHPdoc.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...