PW recommended by HTML KickStart

diogo

That is cool. What you guys think about those html/css/js toolkits like this one and twitter bootstrap?

I'm seriously contemplating looking at this one for a project I'll start next month to be honest.

It's one of those things - if you're not doing a very stylised design then it could save lots of time. Even if you are, just don't use the bits you don't need and customise the rest.

I must say I'm always re-inventing the wheel with each website which wastes time - I've not got a set starting template or CSS which is a little silly.

Thanks for the kind words and recommendation Joshua! We appreciate it. I likewise have very positive thoughts regarding HTML KickStart. I hadn't known about it until recently and am really impressed what what I see. Something that comes to mind is a possible future ProcessWire site profile that's built around HTML KickStart (if you aren't opposed to it), some really cool possibilities. I look forward to experimenting more. Thanks for making this great framework.

• 4 weeks later...

That is cool. What you guys think about those html/css/js toolkits like this one and twitter bootstrap?

I've used Twitter Bootstrap for one live site, one that's in development and an extranet also in development, and it is truly awesome in its comprehensiveness. And just a couple of hours before reading this thread, I had decided to use HTML KickStart for another project that is (hopefully) due in soon!

It seems to me that one of the great advantages of ProcessWire is that any of these kind of design frameworks can be employed to streamline front end development, giving us the very best of both worlds. Especially those of us whose design skills are less than optimal. ;)

• Like 1

I've used Twitter Bootstrap for one live site, one that's in development and an extranet also in development, and it is truly awesome in its comprehensiveness. And just a couple of hours before reading this thread, I had decided to use HTML KickStart for another project that is (hopefully) due in soon!

It seems to me that one of the great advantages of ProcessWire is that any of these kind of design frameworks can be employed to streamline front end development, giving us the very best of both worlds. Especially those of us whose design skills are less than optimal. ;)

I would really like to hear what you think when comparing Twitter Bootstrap to HTML Kickstart DaveP. HTML Kickstart looks great (but isn't setup to allow for responsive for mobile yet?).

To be honest, I ended up using WordPress for the site that I was intending to use Kickstart for, so I haven't actually used it for real yet. joshuag (above) is the developer of HTML Kickstart, so he is better to comment on its responsiveness, although I don't think it is yet.

It is certainly one I intend to use in the near future, although the 2 projects I am involved in at the moment both use Bootstrap (which is ace).

I had an hour to investigate both and select one for a client project I'm working on. I picked HTML Kickstart. Twitter Bootstrap looked great, but also made me think I'd need a couple days to get up-to-speed with it all... making me wonder if it would save me time over starting from scratch (which is what I usually do). Whereas HTML Kickstart seemed more accessible to get going immediately and save me time. If I needed the responsive layout for this particular project, I might have chosen differently. I also look forward to using Twitter Bootstrap in more depth hopefully soon too. But HTML Kickstart seemed to me like it has the better balance that would motivate one to use a framework like this in the first place--a time saver in every respect. Quite impressive what Joshuag has done with this. I hope to have PW profiles for both at some point.

• Like 1

I have used HTML Kickstart for one quick prototyping session, never had used it before and it worked flawlessly. I will probably use it in real projects later on. For some reason I have never felt home with Twitter Bootstrap - don't know why.

It seems like both HTML Kickstart and Twitter Bootstrap are both very full featured, just in different ways. Zurb/Foundation is not as full featured as either of those two, though there is a lot of nice stuff in it. I got a chance to experiment with it and liked how simple it makes putting together a responsive site--it seems to be built around responsiveness to the bone. Whereas Twitter Bootstrap has it's responsive abilities disabled by default. The only thing I wasn't sure about with Foundation is the speed of it... it does seem noticeably slower in my browsers than the other two, though that may be isolated to my environment.