Community Gamers

apeisa

Thanks man - if you ever feel like turning back the clocks to 1994 again, you can now play the original X-COM on Windows 7 pretty easily if you grab it via Steam.

Bizarrely, although I'm the guy who built the site (structure and a lot of the content - can't claim to have written all of those articles though!) I also have little time for gaming any more and when I do I prefer to dive into an FPS for an hour or so just to unwind, so it's Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress 2 for me nowadays.

Most of the time it's web development though, which I like to think of as a puzzle game ;)

• Like 1

Most of the time it's web development though, which I like to think of as a puzzle game ;)

Same here. I get same kind of feeling now while developing websites than I got when building my team on JA, building transportation network in Transport Tycoon or developing new technologies in X-COM. But big difference is in what comes after I have played: websites are something real, that is there for other people to use and enjoy. Computer games just sucked my time :)

But most bizarre feeling is that I sometimes feel bad that I don't play games anymore... like not keeping touch with an old friend :)

PS: I do not play a lot of games, but I tried Terraria about a week ago. I played 14 hours straight with my friend. I will not touch that game anymore though :D

• Like 1

I think you've pinned down my feelings exactly. I like X-COM, that's why I ended up building x-com.co.uk (which eventually transformed into StrategyCore) and it got to a point where I spent more time on the site as it was more rewarding talking to the site regulars and working on the site than it was playing the games.

It's all taken a back seat to "real" life though in recent years, but if some part of my real life still involves building websites for others and maybe making some money on my own projects (your own are always the most fun, especially when there's a good community) then that's not a bad trade at all.

• 2 months later...

No you didn't, you just put it on hold for a moment :)

Just bought three games from gog.com  (lovely site btw). They were bargain: http://www.gog.com/en/promo/atari_collection

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 and Witcher. Little bit over 10$ total. Just played Rollercoaster Tycoon for few hours - great fun and brings back nice memories from childhood :)

Did I just kill this conversation?  ???  :o

Nope, I just got busy again ;)

Sorely tempted to check out RollerCoaster Tycoon now!

If anyone wants to play a fun little turn-based game that's got some good campaigns plus the ability to play against your friends, try this one: http://slitherine.co.uk/games/bbc_ba_pc . It is ridiculously addictive. There's a review on StrategyCore (that site I'm converting into PW veeeeery slowly) here: http://www.strategycore.co.uk/articles/reviews/battlefield-academy-review/

• 1 year later...

Just a heads-up - the new XCOM "remake" was pretty awesome. It sapped about 60 hours of my life since October (scary statistics in games nowadays) but I seem to be over it for now.

I've been playing MechWarrior Online a bit recently but it's a bit scarce on features - you get dropped into a random server and it's all over pretty quickly. I much preferred the single player games in the series, but having said that this game does look veeeeery pretty and the essential combat mechanics are all there. The game just needs a bit more substance I think.

I've been playing a little Team Fortress 2 again recently and it's my first foray into the new game mode - Mann vs Machine (sic). You and five others basically defend against waves of robots bent on destroying your base. It's mad, crazy, loony fun as TF2 usually is.

I know what you're thinking and, no, I have no idea where I find the time for these either :D

The only game I got into for a bit was Wurm Online (created by Notch and Rolf) - but to be fair, I did compose the music for it, so it wasn't quite the same.

I also messed with their site for a bit, but they have taken that over themselves these days. I was going to use Liferay and weld it into the game itself, so that actions taken in the game (like creating a village with friends) would be reflected in the Liferay community system.

But we couldn't find a dev that was up to linking the systems securely, so it fell over.

For a bit of fun, I have been playing Age of Empires 1!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Good day, @Clarityand welcome to the forums! You necroposting in this ancient thread brought up the pleasant memories of times when there was more random chat here, involving forum gurus and Ryan himself.

Nowadays we all seem to be much busier. But I sometimes find time to play with my son. It is some stupid arcade so not worth mentioning next to something as epic as X-com or Jagged Alliance.

On a sidenote. X-com was the game that made me learn English better. Those times few games were translated, so I had to spend time with a dictionary to find out what that yellow pixelated thing I collected from an alien corpse really is)))

• Like 4

Good day, @Ivan Gretsky!

Yes, also online games with English-writing players can teach some English slang (e.g. "ty" stands for "thank you", "np" stands for "no problem"). Also generally online games can teach how to write messages quickly (as you need to play and communicate at the same time unless you're using voice talk), which can be a good skill for programmer too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

On a sidenote. X-com was the game that made me learn English better. Those times few games were translated, so I had to spend time with a dictionary to find out what that yellow pixelated thing I collected from an alien corpse really is)))

Similar experience here.

For me it was all about adventure games — Space Quest, Kings Quest, Police Quest and Quest for Glory, as well as point-and-click games such as Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, etc. Especially early adventure games with a text parser were brilliant tools for learning the language: while they didn't necessarily require you to be fluent in English, you had to have a decent vocabulary and at least some idea about how to form sentences ?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, teppo said:

For me it was all about adventure games — Space Quest, Kings Quest, Police Quest and Quest for Glory

Yep. Remember loading those on a ZX Spectrum from a tape recorder and playing on a black and white TV screen. Greetings to you, my fellow oldfags)))

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, apeisa said:

I get shivers when I hear Monkey Island tune. That is epic ?

That was one of the first games I had on PC!! I was like 10 or something, I couldn't believe there was such a funny game haha, it really opened my eyes to what could exist as a videogame. Now I'm thirsty for some table melting quality grog. 

• Like 2