Launching PAGEGRID Cloud ☁️

jploch

A lot has happened since the first version of PAGEGRID. At first I used PAGEGRID myself to build smaller custom websites faster or to allow users more freedom for the layout of certain pages. But since a page builder like this is quite time consuming to maintain, I decided to release PAGEGRID as a commercial module to support it in the long run. Initially I had ProcessWire users in mind.

But my idea for the module was also to make PAGEGRID (and ProcessWire) interesting for a group of users who are not so experienced with code. I soon realized that this group is able to work with PAGEGRID, but often does not get along with the installation process (E.g. Graphic designer friends of mine were never able to install ProcessWire themselves). Things that we take for granted, such as creating a database and working with FTP, were difficult for them. 

That's why I decided to launch PAGEGRID cloud.

PAGEGRID Cloud ☁️

With the new cloud service, it's easier than ever to create a website. Don't worry about hosting, installation and server updates and focus on designing your website 🏝️. Start with the free plan and upgrade to unlock more features. Websites are hosten on Uberspace and the process of creating a new ProcessWire instance is completely automated. For now consider this a beta launch, since it was not tested with a lot of users. Even if you are not inetrested in PAGEGRID Cloud, I am happy about everyone who wants to help with testing.

Start for free
(Note: I won't share your email with third parties or spam your inbox and your password is saved through ProcessWire's native encrypted password field.)

Self-hosting

Of course you can still host PAGEGRID yourself. Just install the module (The site profile is deprecated, but I made it much easier to get started with the module). You can even export an existing cloud website and install it on another server (E.g. You can start with the free cloud plan and later export the site und install it on your own server). Self-hosting is more flexible since you have access to the API and code. This is the best option for users with coding knowledge, who want to build their own blocks or use PAGEGRID as part of a larger individual website.

Other updates this month:

Pin scroll animations

Elements can now be pinned to the screen for a certain scroll distance. When the scroll distance is exceeded, they are released and continue to scroll normally. This feature uses the native CSS position sticky and some javascript to update the scroll state.

Client-side resizing of images

The latest update brings support for client-side resizing of images uploaded through the inline file uploader. Once enabled images will be resized and compressed before they are uploaded to the server. This makes uploads faster and saves disc space. You can enable this option in the admin through ProcessWire's native image field settings.

Accordion Block (PageGridBlocks Module)

I added a new block that shows a vertically stacked set of clickable headings that can be expanded to show more content. Content can be added as child items, so you can be very flexible with the design of it.

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

This is absolutely brilliant @jploch! Well done!

I have had similar plans for Padloper for a while now. I even spoke to a few ProcessWire users to get initial thoughts. I don't mean to hijack your thread but would like to discuss this with you on the side, if that's OK. I had never had of Uberspace. I investigated GCP and AWS and had settled on the latter aiming to use a multitenant approach. I'll look into Uberspace.

Well done and best of luck with the launch!

• Like 2

@kongondo THX! I have no experience with GCP, AWS, so I can not really compare those to Uberspace. I also never managed a server or VPS myself (Always used shared hosting or worked with a server admin). Managing a server seemed to complicated and time consuming for my usecase.

I started having a discussion about my plans with @diogo and he showed me Uberspace (I never heard of it) and it had everything I needed already installed and ready to go. It's like shared hosting but with shell access (+ it has HTTPS for all domains and takes care of PHP/MYSQL updates). Also the price from 5€/month is very fair and the attitude of the people is very nice. I can only recommend everyone to try it out, because you can automate a lot of things through the shell (databases, install ProcessWire etc.).

One thing to consider is that it will only work for a limited number of users, as 100 GB is the storage limit per account (At that point you have to pay 15€/Month). Also I think the servers are located in germany (not sure), which can be nice for GDPR but might not be ideal for people outside of europe. And of cause you have to think if it makes sense (financially) to spend the time to develop it (In my case most likely not, but it was fun 😆).

My setup is kind of like a multi-site installation that shares the wire folder, site templates and modules (those are just symlinked). The assets folder and config file changes for each ProcessWire instance. So to create a new instance I clone a "master" folder (with the smylinks and files/folders) and clone the "master database". Of cause there is more going on (like Gumroad integration, etc), but this is the basic setup.

If you have any further questions, you can also send me a DM and I will try to answer them. 

• Like 1