adrian

Copy/clone page created/modified dates

The current behavior is that the created and modified dates are brought across to the new page, but I wonder if this is expected / desired behavior. For my current use, I'd prefer they weren't but before submitting an issue I'd like to know what others think.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Never really thought about that detail but in terms of naming...

Clone = I'd expect the same created/modified dates

Copy = I wouldn't be shocked if those dates would be different

An option in the module settings to change the behaviour could be nice - at least in your case. I can't really remember a situation in which I used those date. I almost always rely on additional date fields.

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts @wbmnfktr - it's actually weird to me that the core module is called "Clone" but the page list action button is called "Copy".

I kind of agree with clone having the same dates because a clone should be identical, but I also don't think that in reality anyone actually wants a clone in the end - usually it's just a quick way to start a new page from existing content and modifying it to your needs after that. 

An option for changing the behavior might be a decent approach to the problem.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I think in reality I'll probably end up hooking into ___clone or ___cloned and adjust "created" via SQL (or the quite save option) because I don't honestly see that Ryan will want to change the current behavior.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, adrian said:

I think in reality I'll probably end up hooking into ___clone or ___cloned and adjust "created" via SQL (or the quite save option) because I don't honestly see that Ryan will want to change the current behavior.

When done, please share ( you always do that anyway 🙂 ) 

This works:

$this->addHookAfter('Pages::cloned', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $p = $event->arguments(1);
    $p->created = time();
    $p->save(array('quiet' => true));
});

This doesn't handle "modified", but for my needs I don't need that because publishing the newly cloned page will adjust that automatically then. But, if you do, you could add this to the hook:

$sql = "UPDATE `pages` SET `modified` = NOW() WHERE `id` = '".$p->id."';";
$this->wire('db')->query($sql);

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, adrian said:

For my current use, I'd prefer they weren't but before submitting an issue I'd like to know what others think.

I've never needed to use ProcessPageClone but I would have expected the created/modified time to be set to the time the new page is cloned from the old page. Maybe there are use cases for cloning the created/modified times, so perhaps the issue could be a feature request for the option to determine what happens to created/modified times on the cloned page?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robin S said:

I would have expected the created/modified time to be set to the time the new page is cloned from the old page

Yeah, me too 🙂

13 hours ago, Robin S said:

I would have expected the created/modified time to be set to the time the new page is cloned from the old page.

Same here.