Page Field Info

Robin S

Thanks to @Macrura for the idea behind this module.

Page Field Info

Adds information about options in Page Reference fields. Supports InputfieldSelect and inputfields that extend InputfieldSelect:

• InputfieldSelect
  • InputfieldRadios
  • InputfieldSelectMultiple
  • InputfieldCheckboxes
  • InputfieldAsmSelect

Requires ProcessWire >= 3.0.61 and AdminThemeUikit.

Screenshots

Field config

Field config

Example of changes to inputfield

Inputfield

Example of info field filled out in Page Edit

Page Edit

Installation

Install the Page Field Info module.

Configuration

In the Input tab of the settings for a Page Reference field...

• Tick the "Add info tooltips to options" checkbox to enable tooltips for the options in the field. Tooltips are not possible for Select or AsmSelect inputfield types so for those types you would want to tick the next option.
  • Tick the "Append info about selected options" checkbox to append information about the selected options to the bottom of the inputfield. If the Page Reference field is a "multiple pages" field then the info for each selected option will be prefixed with the option label (so the user will know what option each line of info relates to).
  • In the "Info field" dropdown select a text field that will contain information about the page, to be used in the tooltips and appended info. Of course this field should be in the template(s) of the selectable pages for the Page Reference field.

Hook

In most cases the "Info field" will supply the text for the tooltips and appended info, but for advanced usages you can hookPageFieldInfo::getPageInfo() to return the text. For example:

$wire->addHookAfter('PageFieldInfo::getPageInfo', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $page = $event->arguments(0); // The page
    $inputfield = $event->arguments(1); // InputfieldPage
    $field = $event->arguments(2); // The Page Reference field
    $info = $event->return; // Text from the info field, if any
    // Set some custom text as the $event->return...
});

https://github.com/Toutouwai/PageFieldInfo
https://modules.processwire.com/modules/page-field-info/

• Like 15

Astounding! I'm installing now on several sites!

Working great so far, had to change line 195 to support textarea, as that's what i use for the info

$text_fields = $this->wire('fields')->find('type=FieldtypeText|FieldtypeTextarea');

Testing the single select now, but noticing that the options don't have the data-info attribute, so there is no way to update the selected option's description by javascript – do you think it is possible to add the data-info to the options on plain selects?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Macrura said:

had to change line 195 to support textarea, as that's what i use for the info

I've added this to v0.1.1.

9 hours ago, Macrura said:

Testing the single select now, but noticing that the options don't have the data-info attribute, so there is no way to update the selected option's description by javascript – do you think it is possible to add the data-info to the options on plain selects?

There are data-info attributes on select options - maybe your browser dev tools don't display those attributes for some reason?

2019-05-02_094520.png.37c21c8c234fcf798ff4ad9926288961.png

• Like 2

ok got it, i didn't get that for single select you have to check the tooltips option for this to work.. it's working now once i checked that... Maybe the description of that field could be modified to say that it is required to check that box for single select fields...

thanks again!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Macrura said:

i didn't get that for single select you have to check the tooltips option for this to work

Sorry, I didn't understand the original issue properly before. You shouldn't have to activate the tooltip option for the append option to work for selects - I've fixed the logic in v0.1.2 so it should work as expected now.

• Like 2

It's working great, i have it on about 20 fields now on 1 current/major project and this going to really make a world of difference in reducing support (calls/emails/trello cards)...

I've noticed the more of these sorts of things i put in the admin (including stuff like Field Descriptions Extended, Context help for templates, and ProcessDocumentation), the more careful clients are to check before wasting my support resources...

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Is intended that the tooltips only work with checkboxes, not asmselect or select multiple? Otherwise is there something I need to get it working?

It's a nice addition for checkboxes, but for asmselect it seems I have to stick with custom label formats.

3 hours ago, MarkE said:

Is intended that the tooltips only work with checkboxes, not asmselect or select multiple?

From the readme:

On 5/1/2019 at 5:02 PM, Robin S said:

Tick the "Add info tooltips to options" checkbox to enable tooltips for the options in the field. Tooltips are not possible for Select or AsmSelect inputfield types so for those types you would want to tick the next option.

• Like 1