Long time uploading PW

lucas

"git clone" takes about 3 seconds from the GitHub to whatever server I install it to. :) No idea how it can be that fast, but it always amazes me. Doing an rsync from my localhost to a web server usually takes 20 seconds or so. And that's with all the files (not an archive). With regular old FTP, I have seen it take a long time, but it was always due to a slow FTP client or host.

Hmm, could this be due to some kind of QOS/throttle settings at the host combined with your ISP pipe limit? With (s)ftp/rsync you are pushing to the server from your box through a relatively thin pipe (+ QOS filter?), when using SSH + git clone you are telling the webhost server to go pull files from github directly and both the webhost + github are both on fat pipes.

Dave is right that if you increase the number of connections in your FTP program it can go a lot quicker.

Some hosts limit the number of simultaneous connections but on my servers I frequently increase it to 20 connections and that allows it to go 20 times faster than with one connection obviously.

Depending on your set-up there are some files (1000 or something). Using FTP it shouldn't be so long. I usually tar all files and extract them on the server. That's a lot quicker.

This is also what I do. I always upload a compressed processwire folder, either zip or tar, and uncompress on the server. Takes no longer than a minute. If I don't do this, it takes forever.