Guy Incognito

Simple way to restrict file field documents by user?

Hi all. We've created a private log-in area for a client on their site that is restricted on a roles basis. Is there a simple solution available to let them upload files to a file field and then choose individual users that can access individual files?

Does that make sense?!... it's hard to search for answers to this as all results pertain to server file permissions.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      If you've ever needed to insert links to a large number of files within CKEditor you may have found that the standard PW link modal is a somewhat slow way to do it.
      This module provides a quicker way to insert links to files on the page being edited. You can insert a link to an individual file, or insert an unordered list of links to all files on the page with a single click.
      CKEditor Link Files
      Adds a menu to CKEditor to allow the quick insertion of links to files on the page being edited.

Features
      Hover a menu item to see the "Description" of the corresponding file (if present). Click a menu item to insert a link to the corresponding file at the current cursor position. The filename is used as the link text. If you Alt-click a menu item the file description is used as the link text (with fallback to filename if no description entered). If text is currently selected in the editor then the selected text is used as the link text. Click "* Insert links to all files *" to insert an unordered list of links to all files on the page. Also works with the Alt-click option. Menu is built via AJAX so newly uploaded files are included in the menu without the page needing to be saved. However, descriptions are not available for newly uploaded files until the page is saved. There is an option in the module config to include files from Repeater fields in the edited page. Nested Repeater fields (files inside a Repeater inside another Repeater) are not supported. Installation
      Install the CKEditor Link Files module.
      For any CKEditor field where you want the "Insert link to file" dropdown menu to appear in the CKEditor toolbar, visit the field settings and add "LinkFilesMenu" to the "CKEditor Toolbar" settings field.

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/cke-link-files/
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/CkeLinkFiles
    • By lenoir
      Is it possible to let people edit a page without having to have a user-role?
      My case is the following:
      Visitors fill in a form (Formbuilder) which is saved to pages. They get a confirmation email which could contain a unique editing link. In case they need to update some information, they can click on this link, edit the fields and save. 
      Am I totally off? Is there a better practice? 
    • By DV-JF
      Hi, 
      I'm using this kind of setup (https://processwire.com/blog/posts/language-access-control-and-more-special-permissions/#language-page-edit-permissions) in order to control the page edit permissions. Now I'm wondering if it's possible to hide the "none-ediable" language-tabs instead of striking them through.

Many greets...

• By neophron
      Hi,
      I was searching in the forum about a method how to remove a file extension, like .jpg, but couldn't find anything.
      There are some php methods out in the wild, but I wanted first to get sure, that Processwire is offering a solution.
      The background is, that a clients website has a lot of images, packed in different galleries. All image files contain the name, dimensions and other stuff about the image (painting). I want to echo the image name in the image tag.

thanks 
    • By Kiwi Chris
      I have a role that has page edit, view, and clone permissions on a specific template.
      If a page using the template is locked by a user in a role with lock/unlock permissions on the template , the only button alongside it in the page tree is view, for users who don't have lock/unlock permissions.
      If however, I also give the role page-lock permission on the template, they then get additional buttons, edit, copy, and unlock.
      I don't actually want to give this role unlock permissions, but I do want the copy (clone) button to display alongside the page in the page tree.
      Elsewhere, I've discussed how I've worked out how to create a hook to unlock the copy, but I want to keep the original page so a user without lock permissions can't unlock from the page tree it to make changes.
      Question: What method should I hook into to intercept any attempt to change the lock status?