Sergio

User with "user-admin-all" can't make another user an "editor"

I have this "editor" role, that has the "user-admin-all" permission.

I tried several times, doing different things sets of permissions, but I can't make a user with this role being able to make another user an "editor" too. PW disables the "editor" checkbox. I read the documentation 3 times that my eyes cannot see what I'm missing anymore. :)

Any clues?

I've never tried this before, but quickly browsing the documentation at https://processwire.com/blog/posts/new-user-admin-permissions-automatic-version-change-detection-and-more-2.6.10/#new-user-admin-permissions leads me to ask you the following:

Stupid questions...

• Did you give the "editor" role the "user-admin" and "user-admin-editor" permission?

It would probably be better to create a new dedicated role "editor-managers" and assign the "user-admin-editor" and "user-admin" permissions instead of trying to have the editor role do this all?

41 minutes ago, gmclelland said:

Stupid questions...

• Did you give the "editor" role the "user-admin" and "user-admin-editor" permission?

Yep, to add "user-admin-all" you must have "user-admin" checked. :) And I tried adding "user-admin-editor" to see what happens, but this is just a more granular control than "user-admin-all".

I followed your tip and created a "user-manager" role, and added to it the user-admin and user-admin-all permissions. Also removed them from the editor role. Now, the user with "editor" role can promote another user to the "editor" role, but cannot promote to "user-manager" role. The thing is, as I see, a user with "user-admin" permissions cannot promote another user to his/her same role level. This appears odd. 

I just came across this also. I think that even though this is clearly intentional: 
https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/bafe3d4a1289f6d225c657c4206c27c7a27a5b14/wire/modules/Process/ProcessUser/ProcessUser.module#L211

it is problematic if you want to give a user the ability to create other users with the ability to also create users.

I think this should be a Github issue - anyone else have any thoughts?

If you need a quick fix, you could comment out the line shown above.

• Like 1

Thanks Adrian!

I can understand the decision about it. The problem is that is not clear. If you add a permission "user-admin-all" you expect that the user will be able to add to all users any roles BUT the superuser's. :) That's why I got confused.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sergio said:

Thanks Adrian!

I can understand the decision about it. The problem is that is not clear. If you add a permission "user-admin-all" you expect that the user will be able to add to all users any roles BUT the superuser's. :) That's why I got confused.

Yeah, the "user-admin-all" is very strangely named I think:

https://processwire.com/api/user-access/permissions/#user-admin-permissions

The description says that it reduces the user's rights to guest users only and then you build up from there with the user-admin-[role] option.

All that said, I still think we need a way to let a user with some user-admin permission create another user also with this ability. Otherwise you can't let a client handle the creation of new users in their organization who can also do user management.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrian said:

All that said, I still think we need a way to let a user with some user-admin permission create another user also with this ability. Otherwise you can't let a client handle the creation of new users in their organization who can also do user management.

Fully agree! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.