SwimToWin

API Variables with "Include & Bootstrap"

I am using ProcessWire as the back-end to manage contents on multiple sites (I call them "sub-domains"). I use ProcessWire as an editing system and database only. The ProcessWire templating system is not in use. I want to use ProcessWire's API and in particular the Include & Bootstrap method to output contents -- pretty much in the same way you do, if contents is stored in a MySQL database and output in PHP files that use PDO to load data.

The issue is that I cannot get ProcessWire to fully work on each of the "sub-domains".

https://processwire.com/api/include/ says:

> You can do anything with ProcessWire's API that you can do from a template,
> so all of this still applies, as does everything in the developer API.

How can I get access to variables such as $input when using Include & Bootstrap?

I tried these:

$wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/");
echo "Segment1: " . $wire->input->urlSegment1; # Returns null

$wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/");
echo "Segment1: " . $wire->input()->urlSegment1; # Internal Server Error

$p = $wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/");
echo "Segment1: " . $p->input->urlSegment1; # Returns null

$p = $wire->pages->get("/foo/bar/");
echo "Segment1: " . $p->input()->urlSegment1; # Returns null

@ryan Can the API Variables documentation be updated with a section / an example that explain how to use "Include & Bootstrap" for each variable (since this is a really strong feature in ProcessWire)?

• $page
  • $pages - Example: $homepage = $wire->pages->get("/");
  • $input
  • $sanitizer
  • $session
  • $fields
  • $user
  • $log
  • $templates
  • $config
Edited by SwimToWin
Background info added

4 hours ago, SwimToWin said:

How can I get access to variables

Hi,

https://processwire.com/api/include/

These two are equivalent, so what syntax you prefer to use is up to you:

$mypage = $wire->pages->get("/about/contact/");
$mypage = wire('pages')->get("/about/contact/");

wire('pages') As far as I know, only this should work, so they are not really "equivalent" in this context. See for example: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/13977-custom-php-code-selector/?tab=comments#comment-125688

Am I mistaken?

If you are bootstrapping I am guessing this is an ajax call, or a site that is trying access PW data but without using PW template files?

In this case, $input->urlSegments won't work, because it's not a PW template file.

But in general, you can use any PW variable in a bootstrapped scenario normally, eg $page, $fields, $session - no need for $wire or wire()

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adrian said:

If you are bootstrapping I am guessing this is an ajax call, or a site that is trying access PW data but without using PW template files?

In this case, $input->urlSegments won't work, because it's not a PW template file.

But in general, you can use any PW variable in a bootstrapped scenario normally, eg $page, $fields, $session - no need for $wire or wire()

Thanks for clarifying!

Background info: I am using ProcessWire as the back-end to manage contents on multiple sites. I use ProcessWire as an editing system and database only. The ProcessWire templating system is not in use.

I will describe the setup in a separate topic - it's cool! ;-)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Spyros
      Hello
      I'm having a strange issue with the $page->find(), for some reason I'm missing some of the pages from the results. I found then that I was missing all the pages with the same "PAGE NAME". Is it a bug or am I missing something?
      PS 
      If I change the "PAGE NAME" of one of the missing ones then I'm retrieving the page without any problem.
      Thank you
    • By Guy Incognito
      This short script loops through some images from an XML feed and pushes new ones to an image field. It all works perfectly, except for some reason the last image (only) in the loop each time doesn't receive the image description... can everyone spot why? TIA! 🙂 
      foreach ($propertyImages as $img) { $fileName = trim($img[0]); if ( !empty($fileName) ) { $imgPath = '../property_data/'.$fileName; if(file_exists($imgPath) && !in_array(strtolower($fileName),$currentImages)) { $p->property_images->add($imgPath); $p->save(); $newImg = $p->property_images->last(); $newImg->description = $img[1]; $p->save(); } } }  
    • By MateThemes
      Hello everyone!
      I am working with Processwire since some time. But some topics are quite hard for me.
      I have a Portfolio (Gallery) Page.
      I am build a template with Portfolio Index and pages with portfolio entries.
      Structure:
      Portfolio Index
      -- Portfolio Entry
      -- Portfolio Entry
      and so on.
      Portfolio Entry has an Image field with max 12 images and are accessible Templates. 
      Now I want to display the single Portfolio Entry on the Portfolio Index and Paginate them. In the index page all images of a single Entry page should be displayed (I should not be organized as albums, where a random image of the portfolio entry should be displayed). 
      I have no clue to achieve this. May someone could give me an advice.
      Thank you in advance!
    • By ngrmm
      I have a page with a table. Each table row has a page-reference field and a checkbox.
      The Page sends emails to all users (page-refrence->email-field) and change the value of the checkbox in a row to 1.
      It works with this:
      <?php // event ID fron url query $eventID = $input->get('eventID','int'); // get event-page $event = $pages->get($eventID); // config $fromEmail = $event->event_mail_from; $fromName = $event->event_mail_from_name; $emailSubject = $event->event_subject; // email html body ob_start(); include('./_inc/emailbody.inc'); $emailBody = ob_get_clean(); // make event-page editable $event->of(false); // loop through table and send out emails foreach($event->event_clients_list as $event_table_row) { // get client page $clientPage = $event_table_row->client_name; // get client email $clientEmail = $clientPage->email; // if client isn't invited yet (checkbox not checked) if($event_table_row->client_invited == '') { // send email $m = new WireMail(); $m->to($clientEmail); $m->from($fromEmail, $fromName); $m->subject($emailSubject); $m->bodyHTML($emailBody); $m->send(); // mark client as invited $event_table_row->client_invited = 1; $event->save('event_clients_list'); } } ?> But i have to use a variable in my emailbody.inc which i'm able to get in the table-loop.
      So i do the including of the body inside my loop. But this doesn't work anymore. Page sends out the emails but is unable to change the value of the checkbox.
      I get no errors!
      I'm using ProTable
      <?php // event ID fron url query $eventID = $input->get('eventID','int'); // get event-page $event = $pages->get($eventID); // config $fromEmail = $event->event_mail_from; $fromName = $event->event_mail_from_name; $emailSubject = $event->event_subject; // loop through table and send out emails foreach($event->event_clients_list as $event_table_row) { // get client page $clientPage = $event_table_row->client_name; // get client email $clientEmail = $clientPage->email; // email html body ob_start(); include('./_inc/emailbody.inc'); $emailBody = ob_get_clean(); // make event-page editable $event->of(false); // if client isn't invited yet (checkbox not checked) if($event_table_row->client_invited == '') { // send email $m = new WireMail(); $m->to($clientEmail); $m->from($fromEmail, $fromName); $m->subject($emailSubject); $m->bodyHTML($emailBody); $m->send(); // mark client as invited $event_table_row->client_invited = 1; $event->save('event_clients_list'); } } ?>  
    • By flydev 👊🏻
      Bootstrap-4 Minimal site profile for ProcessWire
      This profile is based on the "minimal site profile (intermediate edition)" and bundled with Boostrap v4.4.1

Features
      Bootstrap SASS Font-Awesome SASS Render / helper functions for : Simple ul navigation Bootstrap Multi-level navbar Bootstrap Carousel Bootstrap Cards Bootstrap Jumbotron Boostrap Accordion Assets minification, files bundle   Dependencies
      jQuery Popper.js Bootstrap FontAwesome   Prequisites
       You'll want to install the following on your system before proceeding:
      Yarn / NPM How To Install
      Download the zip file at Github or clone directly the repo with git clone and skip the step 2. Extract the folder site-pwbs4-master into a fresh ProcessWire installation root folder. During the installation of ProcessWire, choose the profile "ProcessWire Bootstrap 4 profile".   After installation
      You can find the development file (CSS/SCSS/JS) in site/assets/dev/src
      The profile can be used as is only with $config->debug set to false. To use it in debug mode, you are required to install the dependencies with the package manager.
      Open a terminal in site/assets/dev and execute the following command-line: yarn Available commands :
      Rebuild, minify and bundle assets for release : yarn build   References
      Bootstrap v4 documentation ProcessWire documentation ProcessWire Forum: bootstrap tag ProcessWire Forum: bootstrap related posts   Credits
      The ProcessWire staff Inspiration from @gebeer and his Bootstrap 3 profile post Members who contributed in various post about Bootstrap navigation and code (see code-source for refs). Screenshots