We All Need to Charge More!

MatthewSchenker

Greetings,

All right, take a look at this: http://agilitycms.com/

Let me get this straight...

- To launch a site using the "basic" version of this CMS is $3,000 / year

- For the "pro" version, it's $6,600 / year

- In addition to licensing, it's another $3,600 / year minimum to host

Just to license and host a site of any complexity would be over $10,000 / year!  We haven't even discussed design/development costs.

I took a look at the feature set of this CMS, and it is far less capable than ProcessWire.

So... what am I missing here?  Who is paying this?

Thanks,

Matthew

I must say, the Agility backend doesn't look so fresh... It's the first thing that made me close the tab.

That said, I can, believe it or not, imagine the types of people that would pay such ridiculous prices... But I have news for them. Lots of mind-altering news.

A whole lot of people are paying a whole lot of money for things they don't need / shouldn't be using / could do better for less.

Conversely there are an awful lot of excellent designers and developers who struggle for work / money.  A lot depends on who you target / how you sell it and how lucky you are.

• Like 4

I've known people in large organisations (not saying which) turn down quotes because the price seemed suspiciously low. No follow-up discussion to ask why it was low, just discarded the quote in favour of a higher one.

• Like 5

I've known people in large organisations (not saying which) turn down quotes because the price seemed suspiciously low. No follow-up discussion to ask why it was low, just discarded the quote in favour of a higher one.

That's a double-edged sword, no doubt about that. By offering something for a price too low you might get kicked from the race altogether (based on the argument that "you probably misunderstood the scope of the project", which might or might not be true), and on the other hand price is often a big factor, and you should aim for the lower end of the "acceptable range" if you want to impress the client.

Pricing projects is hard work :)

• Like 2

Greetings,

Yes, as Teppo said, "pricing projects is hard work"!

I think this part of the project development process is a bit of an art.  I'm good at designing/developing, but I'm not always great at getting the best price for my work.  Lately, I've partnered with a couple of other people who are the opposite -- they are good at negotiating.  I've sat in the table and watched them magically get a better price.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 3