Dating Site Possible With Pw

bwakad

Holiday is over and trying to read through the forum but there is so much. lol. I was talking to a friend about PW and he was curious if PW is capable for a dating site.

The basics (1 and 2) what will be needed are easy:

1. Registration, User (profile) page, Login, Edit profile.

Profile page has sections were some will be visible to other members if they have the right role.

2. Browse page with filter

I was thinking of deviding this page for example in more parts.

Each part is for a certain group.

Each group has members according to profile information. Maybe it will be what they look for, or location or something else.

Fitlers are then used for more specifics.

3. Connect with friends.

Should be something like a checkmark next to thumbs, requesting to be friends.
It needs to be accepted in order to appear in a friends list.

On both user pages it needs to check if it is true.

4. Send a Message.

Usually this is done without being friends.

So maybe the ability to add text on that user page in a box.

Which should only be visible for the receiving user. HasRole!

That user can also delete / empty the text.

Problem here is, how to make it so more people can do this?

Or is there some kind of internal mail system to use?

5. PM messages

This has to be only if two are friends.

Not even sure if this is possible in PW.

So far my thoughts. I'd be glad if I get some feedback.

I think 4 or 5 should be pretty simple to implement. It's fair to say there's no plug-and-play way of making this happening but then that isn't really what PW is about. You will be surprised the first time you build something like this yourself from scratch will be a big "Aha!" moment. It was for me and I think for many others too. It's almost always simpler than you think, and it has the advantage of being exactly how you want it.

You could for instance create a "messages" and "message" template, each new "message" would have a sender and recipient (both "page" fields), perhaps also a send time.

When someone fills in a message, it uses the $user variable for the sender. Essentially each new message could be a new page.

• Like 1

As far as I know Emma and Tim would work. lol

But a page field is actually ONE (1) field with a value, whereas for this I would need more fields for every user, as there can be more friends...

Or maybe the module Ryan created, not sure what it is called anymore, but it had to do with adding related things to a page.... I believe the video I had seen while back involved adding locations and villas or something.

A page field can store unlimited pages, so All your friends :)

Obviously all it does is store pages and not their status, but you could store them in another page field called "friend request" or something first, then move them to the friend field after.

• Like 1

@Nico - yep, but when you access the field in your templates it fetches the relevant page object so as you say it's just as good, but your explanation clarifies what is actually stored (i.e. It doesn't clone a page or something silly like that :))

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update!

As far as I know, I have managed to get all "profile fields" in PW. I devided two parts: login (username, email and pass) - profile (all fields that can describe a person, including image) ... and no, not the values "$#@head!" lol.

Login:

The login by email was made with help of Martijn (thanks). It is easier to remember for people.

Registration in two parts:

The registration creates user and profile page with same name.

After that they get redirected to a page to provide personal info to activate profile page.

Edit profile:

Still need to do that. And I think I need a temp page for when people change their screen name (user and profile name).

The form:

I have set patterns in the back for required input validation. Will think about displaying error messages later.

Right now working on dynamic selects which is really a pain in the %$#... but it's needed to come to a final city e.g. Country > Province > City. It would be strange to select country USA and finally as city Berlin....

Online user:

although Adrian and Pete gave correct code, remarks on that topic made me realize one has to take into account closing the browser without logout. Therefore the approach will be to check a persons activity (found some topics on that).

Browse:

For this I use my old code, template will be profile-template, field will be on what people search. Later I add filters (foundation-css has some great options for that).

Thumbs and carousels:

I do not use foundation-css grid block for thumbs since - PW handles this well; foundation adjust the size which makes them to small and absolute position on top of images is not visual stable anymore. I now use in between queries to determine the container width and then use:

card is the container, for the box inside. We float the card left and align box center. X = box width =120px, Y = X/2 for negative-margin, left 50% makes it center.
    #member-cards .card {
        width: 50%;
        border: 1px solid #eee;
        float: left;
        margin-bottom: 1em;
    }

#member-cards .box {
        margin: 0px 0 0 -60px;
        left: 50%;
    }