What is "Reiska"

Ivan Gretsky

Couldn't  find any translation for Ryan's member title. What is "Reiska"? Google shows some weird Estonian pages... I guess, it is something like "The god of all heavens" or "Megamacho" in suomi, but i would like to fully understand the title of our "beloved leader and godfather of all wires and processes" :).

• Like 4

If you want to know what "Reiska" often means here in Finland, Google Remontti-Reiska and you're getting close. Finnish TV star, media personality, self-taught handyman / construction worker, ex-hockey player, ex-bodybuilder, motorist and a huge person (in more than one way), Remontti-Reiska ("Reiska the Handyman") symbolises all that is good and fair in Finland.

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but I believe that the term "remontti-reiska", which is often used to describe handymen and like in general, originated from this guys TV show.

(There's also a whole series of YouTube videos of his shows, mostly slowed down to make him and the guy helping him seem drunk -- don't worry about those, that's just Finnish Internet humour at it's finest.)

Of course there are other interpretations too, but this is the one I prefer. I think @apeisa mentioned something about this at our last ProcessWire meetup, so he'll probably know better  ;)

• Like 3

I don't know for sure what Reiska means either, but @apeisa told me that was apparently my Finnish name and that it means something along the lines of handyman. I had a member-title spot open, so I put it there. But if it's translating anywhere as "god of all heavens" or something like that, then I need to change it. I'm okay with being a handyman or somebody that fixes things, but need to change it reads as something egotistical. 

• Like 6

So epic :) It just nickname we have been calling Ryan here at Avoine office. I mentioned that to Ryan and since then it has been his member title.

For Finnish people Reiska is quite a traditional nickname and most famous Reiska is indeed Remontti-Reiska, who has been celebrity (also popular among ladies) here for a long time. I agree with Teppo, he represents only the finest values - not anything God like here though, but maybe our dear neighbors at Estonia sees him as a god :)

I'm just giggling here for the idea many people googling and wondering about that strange connection :D

• Like 4

• 6 years later...
On 8/8/2020 at 1:44 AM, adrian said:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=reiska

A very beautiful girl with a gorgeous smile, very confident, honest, and smart. Even though others don’t really value her as much, she will be very independent and also not interested in what others say or feel. She must come first regardless of how others treat her.

?

Just like ProcessWire)

• Like 2