SEV-Online Relaunch

Soma

A new project went live this week. We've been working hard the last couple month to redesign and relaunch the new SEV-Online site.

It's now live at http://www.sev-online.ch 

(The non www. version is still the old site due to complications on company that handles the DNS.)

post-100-0-51545500-1395486097_thumb.png

The biggest challenge was to transport the old site from webEdition to ProcessWire. There was a lot of content that had to be taken care of. There was put a lot of work into importing articles and documents and also make sure most of the links and function still work, so some mapping had to be done using ID's of documents from the old system. This was especially tricky as the old system had a separate structure for the 3 languages in the old system, and is now handled with multilanguage feature of ProcessWire where each page contains the 3 languages.

Nonetheless it was a pleasure to work with PW and it took everything I've thrown at it :) Although there were hard times were some bugs was found during the process, especially with multilanguage features. But the good thing is they're fixed. 

The site maintainers are very pleased to work with PW.

Some general infos:

The site is in 3 languages. Using built in ML, LanguageSupportPageNames.

There's a register/login for members to see additional sections on the site. Members are synced from a CRM they already have. There's ~43K members that can create a account using their Member Nr and birthdate. Once they're registered they can change profil data that will then get back to the CRM.

There's a calendar for events and courses that also visitor/members can send in new ones.

There's a simple online shop using apeisa excellent shop module.

We use Fredi for frontend editing. So almost all content can be directly edited via browsing the site.

There's a simple widget system using page references, so they can build homepage and sidebar elements as they wish.

There's many forms on site, that are all built using PW Form API (Inputfields), along with using jQuery Validation for better user experience.

The navigation is quite large (number of entries) so I cached the markup generated by MarkupSimpleNavigation and use client side JS to highlight entries. 

Some modules used on this project:

- LanguageSupport modules

- PW Comments

- Markup RSS

- Hanna Code

- MarkupSimpleNavigation

- AdminTemplateColumns

- EmailObfuscation (EMO)

- FormSaveReminder

- PageEditSoftLock

- Fredi

- CustomPageList

- ModulesManager

- Shop Module (apeisa)

- Schedule Pages

- Template Decorator

- Template Notes

- Video Embed Textformatter

- MarkupCache

Some custom site specific modules created along the way

- Custom LinkAbstractor

- Lots of custom hooks for doing things on save, indexing, page name and ocntent manipulations

- Some custom Textformatters for LinksLists etc

- Some custom Admin pages for managing member mutations etc.

• Like 16

Only had a quick look but a really nice job Soma. One thing, and maybe this is just me, but the horizontal menu requires a click to show the dropdown items. That's fine, but i would expect it to close the open dropdown if i click it again, but it doesn't, it only re-opens the already open dropdown. You need to click outside for it to close. No big deal but to me this behavior was unexpected.

• Like 1

As one of the maintainers of the site I can only agree with everyone here. Thanks Soma, it is really something to be proud of.

And thanks to ryan as well for this great system. It is really easy to work with. It makes maintaining a multi language site very easy. I know, what I am talking of …

• Like 2

attachicon.gifscreen1.PNG

Nice site, but on my high resolution device (2560x1440 on Win 8.1) the navigation is split on two lines. The font seems to big. 

You may want to have a look at it ;) Its because you use em. 

This doesn't depend on resolution or em, it's because you don't have the google font typekit loaded for some reason. And the fallback font is wider, I'm aware of this.