alkahest

A sane var_dump()?

Is there a way to do a var_dump() in PW without getting a massive incomprehensible array returned? The amount of data that's inside the object is so extensive that it often crashes the browser.

Is there a wrapper function that's just for debugging?

Depends on the variable you put in var_dump :)

Can you tell what do you want to achieve, debug?

Well, I have something as simple as a list of US states and their children (which are Schools). The US states just have a title, as do the Schools.

I have looped through all the states and split them into two arrays for display purposes. All I want to do is var_dump the array that contains the objects, but PW spits out an insane 20 page novel about the contents of the states and their children. 

So, when I try:

$state_set = $pages->find('template=state');

echo $state_set->getArray();

I get Array(); as the output. If I try:

var_dump($state_set->getArray());

I get Proust.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By FrancisChung
      Hi there,
      I'm a newbie and I'm trying to learn more about Processwire so I've setup XDebug + PHPStorm to get some real time debugging happening. 

I've noticed that no matter where i put a breakpoint in any of my php modules, it seems to return the following error.
      Error: __debuginfo() must return an array (line 55 of /Users/FrancisChung/site/Test/templates/head.inc) 
      This error message was shown because you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.
      I was wondering if fellow Processwire users have a similar setup, and was successful in getting debugging going.
      I've also read this forum post:
      https://processwire.com/talk/topic/1611-yes-debugging-templates-and-core-code-works/
      I'm also aware there's an issue with XDebug and Processwire:
      https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/1316
    • By Pierre-Luc
      I recently found while doing work on Laravel a nice tool called Var Dumpling that will convert all var_dumps to nicely formatted blocks of text with a structure, making it a lot easier do debug var_dumps.
      It's available on Chrome and Firerox, you can see what it looks like on their page http://vardumpling.com/
      Hope some of you find it interesting!
    • By Gazley
      Hi there,
      The title just about says it all! I wondered whether anyone has been able to achieve this? I've been trying all day to configure PHPStorm but no luck far
      Thanks
      --Gary