Multiple labels and descriptions for the page title

doolak

If you have different templates with different content types you sometimes have to tell the clients how they have to use the title input field in the different cases - for example:

- "normal" pages

(here the label "Title" works fine, of course - i used the description to inform that this title is used for the menu and the pageheading)

- newsarticles

(The label "Title" is fine, but it will not be used for the menu, so i had to change the description to inform that its the title of the article but will not appear in the menu.)

- team members

(Here i have to use the title for the name and have to tell that the client - would be great in this case to have another label, f.e. "Name" and another description. In the moment i would have to extend the standard description again to inform that in this case it is used as name)

Of course, if you have the title fields prefilled the client will see what function it has on the different pages - but if it would be technically possible without too big efforts, a module which allows different labels and description for the title field would be great!

What do you think about that?

What you are describing is similar to PW1, where you would set the field's label/description information individually on a per template basis. I think there are two sides to it. First off, it's very worthwhile to be able to have one page say "Press Release Headline" in one template and another say "Full Name", but have them both refer to the same field (be that 'title', or some other field). But the flip side is that you end up with less consistency and familiarity between templates. From a developers perspective, it's also more challenging to connect fields on the front end with your usage of them in the API in your templates. Still, the pros outweigh the cons, and especially so if it reduces the number of fields you need to accomplish your site's goals. So rest assured, I totally agree with the value of it and we'll have this at some point as a module. But I've considered it more of a luxury than a requirement, so it's coming but I haven't yet penned a date to it.

I was wondering about this too, but on the odd occasion I've thought about it I just created another field to be honest.

I wouldn't mind an "override label/description" on a per-template basis for fields though as you've got it on your list already ;)

• 2 months later...

I agree with Ryan here. I think this something I thought about a lot already too, and ofc would be handy. I think it would be already enough to only be able to define a description for each field per template. If the label of the field is also changeable that may would be great, but could lead to confusion on devs side too. Though since I'm using my field helper module, I'm able to see the real name of the field when editing the page. And if you then can see the real name of the field in the edit template content, I don't think it's a real problem.

The cons is having a constantly confused client questioning which the title is for now in this template, situation... If you end up having many different templates for different uses like normal pages, files, page elements (I use as pseudo childpages to have flexible content elements)... xyz objects, clients , products, polls ... I start to really wish there were more options to descripe.

I would greatly appreciate it. This would give globally used fields like title, body, date etc more options to make things more clear to the user and keep them reusable.

New subject

While at it, I came here basicly because of a simliar wish I have for templates. While there's lately a "label" field for description of the template, I wish there were 1 more for what the user see's in the select when creating a new page. It currently shows the system name of the template, while I prefer that, I wish I had the option to define another for the user. What do you think?

New subject

While at it, I came here basicly because of a simliar wish I have for templates. While there's lately a "label" field for description of the template, I wish there were 1 more for what the user see's in the select when creating a new page. It currently shows the system name of the template, while I prefer that, I wish I had the option to define another for the user. What do you think?

You mean templates's should have description also? That is nice idea, but little harder to implement on UI side (label on select, after that description shown somewhere?).

If you mean template label should be shown instead of system name when choosing template for a page, then I think that is coming: http://processwire.com/talk/index.php/topic,598.msg5298.html#msg5298

Yes that's what I mean – but this feature of label field for template is already commited from 2 days... installed it already but the template select doesn't show the label. Must have missed something.

• 2 weeks later...

I also think it would be useful to use the same field type with different labels, and even having it repeated on the same template with different names. On my project, I had way to many field types for the simple task I was doing. I had something like these field types:

• plate1
  • plate2
  • plate3
  • plate4
  • plate5
  • price1
  • price2
  • price3
  • price4
  • price5

when the ideal would be having only "plate" and "price" as field types, and put them on template as many time as I wanted, naming them only there.

I also had to repeat the process of choosing "type", "text formatter", "input size" and "max length" for each one of them. Would be very useful to have the option of duplicating a field, just like there is the "duplicate fields used by another template" when creating a new template.

Or maybe there is already a better way of doing this and I was having unnecessary work. Is there?

I think that repeatable fields (something that is planned) will be helpful with the need you are describing.

Having field labels customizable per-template is also part of the plan.

Having the same field be reusable on the same template is not possible, and I'm not sure how we'd do that architecturally and technically. But I don't think that will even be a need once we have repeatable fields.

A field 'duplicate' option will definitely be added.

I think that repeatable fields (something that is planned) will be helpful with the need you are describing.

they will for sure, although not exactly the same effect.

Having field labels customizable per-template is also part of the plan.

nice :)

Having the same field be reusable on the same template is not possible, and I'm not sure how we'd do that architecturally and technically. But I don't think that will even be a need once we have repeatable fields.

I was thinking that it might be more difficult then I was imagining...

A field 'duplicate' option will definitely be added.

yaaaay!!