Talking about everything and nothing

da²

Hey,

I think this forum could benefit from a pinned thread where we can talk about anything and everything without needing to create a new topic, like a pub conversation that lasts all night, but goes on for years. ?

If you are a moderator and like the idea, please pin this topic, otherwise just delete it, I won't hold it against you. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a moderator at all, but I LOVE THAT IDEA... a full-fledged-off-topic thread. If I understand that right.
And the later the day, the more interesting the topics (besides those excluded in the forum rules of course) become.

My first off-topic just to crash this thread here already:

Spoiler

This is the world of Wordpress nowadays:

2024-08-13_00-04.thumb.png.987450283e19c889153bfdd1666399b5.png

?

Edited by wbmnfktr
added angel emoji under post
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

a full-fledged-off-topic thread

Yes, sometimes I want to post some random message but I don't find a place for this.

Today, I was looking for a Drupal forum, and when I found this, I thought it was created to discourage people from asking for help. ?
Look at a topic, seriously...

Edited by da²
  • Like 1

Just now, da² said:

sometimes I want to post some random message but I don't find a place for this.

I have a huge collection of "never posted in the forums"-posts somewhere. So I really understand, enjoy and love that idea.

And yeah... the Drupal-forum is a bit weird, yet the CMS and people have big place in my heart. Most of them are good people, yet the... exterior (if this is even a word) is a bit off-putting sometimes.

Count me in on a off-topic/sh*t-talking thread while being polite, and not that mean.

• Like 1

The main benefit of this thread is that I finally have a space to post in PW forums. I have this internal desire of being super active here, but as a forever-noob developer I can't participate in others people's topics. So, this post suits me hahaha.

17 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

My first off-topic just to crash this thread here already:

Hide contents

This is the world of Wordpress nowadays:

2024-08-13_00-04.thumb.png.987450283e19c889153bfdd1666399b5.png

I have a secret: The infinite site hosting scheme
The only word in marketing that's more 'scheme' than 'scheme' is infinite. And when they combine infinite and secret, you can know you've officially landed in the Promised Land.

• Like 4

On 8/13/2024 at 5:43 PM, Sanyaissues said:

but as a forever-noob developer

Don't tell anyone but 90% of my ProcessWire code consists only of if/else/foreach/echo statements - nothing more.
You don't need more. That's all. My opinion. Ok, nowadays there is a bit more twig involved, and some hooks, and modules... yet not that necessary. Everything beyond that is some kind of voodoo-magic for me.

On the other hand: this forum has almost all answers (for starters) already. If not, this community is the best and will help. So...

On 8/13/2024 at 5:43 PM, Sanyaissues said:

I have a secret: The infinite site hosting scheme
The only word in marketing that's more 'scheme' than 'scheme' is infinite. And when they combine infinite and secret, you can know you've officially landed in the Promised Land.

We still have more options:

• exclusive (on Discord, in the newsletter, ...)
  • short time only
  • starter-price (+$50 every 100 sales)
  • 30-day-money-back-guarantee
  • Like 2

I think "Live Topics" would be nice to have: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/introducing-live-topics-r1276/

For example, we could organize monthly "virtual meetups" where each event has a predefined main topic, announced well before the event so that those who have something important to say can prepare in advance.

Each event could end with informal conversations about any other topics in mind (where the forum rules should still apply, of course).

• Like 2

• teppo pinned this topic

That sounds nice. I think. Could be fun.

Doesn't Discord allow such things? If so we could go there. There is a ProcessWire channel already.

However... love those Community Calls, Office Hours or how others call them.

12 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

Doesn't Discord allow such things? If so we could go there. There is a ProcessWire channel already.

I have no idea. Some forum members have started Discord channels over the years, but those channels have never been actively used, so I just quit. Also, keeping Discord (or any other app like that) open all the time is a big time killer that prevents me from focusing on work or anything else, for that matter.

The forum's "Live Topics" feature can turn the discussion of an "event" into a separate forum topic (or optionally into separate topics), preserving what was discussed.

Chat rooms and similar discussion board solutions cannot be searched nor bookmarked properly and cannot be indexed by search engines either.

Maybe I am old school, but a classic forum like this is the best for discussions that provide information to be kept for later reference.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm not a PHP expert, I use this language since a few years but only intensively since last year.

And I just found the spaceship operator <=>. A few days before I implemented an ArrayUtils::floatCompare() because I found bugs in my code where I compared floats like int, because usort callback function return value is an int and I was returning "$float1 - $float2"... followed by the implicit cast to int... not perfect sorting. ?

I know I've already read about this 'spaceship.' I remember the name, but probably it wasn't the right time to fully understand its meaning. ^^

Did you know this operator?

EDIT : thanks to the moderator who pinned this topic, I owe you a beer! ?

Edited by da²
  • Like 2