A Multitude of Save buttons!

Joss

I like the save button! It is a nice positive button with some pretty solid features that has got me out or trouble lots of times....

But I am wondering whether it is a bit lonely and could do with some bed-fellows?

I am thinking of these few cousins:

• Save and Close (returns you to the page list, field list ,,,)
  • Save and New (Saves the current doc and creates a new one of the same type - child of the same parent, for instance, with the same template enabled)
  • Duplicate - literally creates a new whatever with everything the same, including the content. Very useful in SEO heavy sites where you want lots of similar pages with just some localisation changes.
  • Cancel - closes without saving, maybe with an alert.

This is a bit of a Joomla inspired list, but it can really speed things up when getting down to the content filling bit of a site, or mass producing fields.

Display wise, I would suggest a button dropdown, like you can create thanks to those nice people at Bootstrap

So, you would still have your sweet little save button, but with a down arrow next to it that revealed the other options, rather than have a long list of buttons.

This has probably been suggested loads of times before, but I thought I would just nudge it into the list, just in case.

Joss

• Like 2

but I for one (for instance) don't want to have four buttons on my edit page.

And that would be why I said to make it a drop down with the additional options. :rolleyes: These are functions that I have found very useful with all kinds of systems when you are having to create a lot of data.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the save button! It is a nice positive button with some pretty solid features that has got me out or trouble lots of times....

But I am wondering whether it is a bit lonely and could do with some bed-fellows?

Sorry Joss, I was out of actual buttons, but I implemented something else that might interest you as well. See http://processwire.com/talk/topic/2369-module-pageeditredirects/.

Your post reminded me of a much older thread I once read (adam was actually involved with this back then) and there I found another way to accomplish the same kind of functionality. Maybe that could evolve into something useful even.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...