Upscale images without losing quality with this online service

Sergio

I had to find a way to use a person's head shot that was too small (640px) for print collaterals. Found https://letsenhance.io that uses machine learning to upscale an image and also do other improvements. It blew my mind! This is pure "black magic" :) See attached example from their blog. 

And I also recommend https://www.remove.bg/ for removing backgrounds. Incredible quality also.

283-x-300--1-.png

• Like 8

Great find Sergio, thanks for posting it. Seems like I'm going to have to stop using smear/smudge on images with fields that I want to stay private. Will now have to totally overwrite said info with a block of solid colour. Just in case it gets that good ?

Edited to add: Very impressed with the output. This service works great!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, netcarver said:

stop using smear/smudge on images with fields that I want to stay private. Will now have to totally overwrite said info with a block of solid colour.

Oh yeah! A solid color is the way to go. ? much more secure afaik

I'm not that impressed. letsenhance.io vs Photoshop:

Original:

illu-and-text.thumb.jpg.cad04921d241f4fdae159c9dce4cb200.jpg

downscaled to upscale ?

illu-and-text-small.jpg.04cf8fe5c2e8fc685c67d88fd841fcd9.jpg

4x upscale letsenhance.io – it took about 10 minutes!

illu-and-text-small-letsenhance-x4.thumb.jpg.f019daadb9923167db55b4ab222083f3.jpg

4x upscale Photoshop - under 1 second:

illu-and-text-small-PS-4x.thumb.jpg.d96f0bcb8bf7094e705663486540f341.jpg

letsenhance.io is not better just different is some ways. Certianly was not worth the wait of about 10 minutes, especially as its algorithm tends to distort geometric lines. We can argue that letsenhance.io is better at photos, but Photoshop is good at those too... 
Looks like letsenhance.io is only impressive at painting like squiggles when its own added squiggles fit the bill, maybe?

• Like 1

Yep, I was also underwhelmed, with both services.

An upscaled image (4x) showed really ugly artefacts on the face and hands parts of an image.

With background-removal... well, an entire (huge) part between two body-parts was not removed (similar skin-tone and background-color).

It seems that even with AI in 2019, the old adage still holds true: SISO. The better / bigger your original image is, the better output you'll get.

• Like 1