rushy

Ajax with markup regions

Hello. I have recently adopted PW markup regions and really like this way of working. However, I am also trying to learn how to use Ajax and I am not sure of a good way to use the two together. Has anyone got any experience, tips or hints on using them together? For ajax -  I've used a simple scheme where I have a "webservice" template and page that handles Ajax requests and returns the appropriate content wrapped with some markup for the requesting page. I have markup regions enabled and all my pages (bar webservice) include a _main.php which brings in the headers, a default body and the footer. My javascript intercepts the page links and does my ajax call to webservice and that sends back the appropriate markup which is then placed by in the div #body defined in _main.php.  Does this seem a reasonable way to work? I guess I am looking for some advice before I invest too much time going the wrong way!

Any guidance, remarks,  comments, or a nudge in the right direction greatly appreciated.

Paul

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Moritz Both
      Greetings!
      For our PW project we use markup regions and, for one template, url segments. The documentation recommends throwing a new Wire404Exception() from the template when the code concludes that the url segments from the request are invalid, and so we do.
      However, the 404 page is not displayed properly. Viewing the page source in the browser we can see that the original, unmodified markup region contents from our _init.php file is prepended to the correct html output, messing the whole page up.
      Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    • By gerald
      In my frontend I would like to implement a small AJAX-solution, but it does´nt work. For example:
      template/js/ajax.js: contains jquery-ajax-snippet with click-function like this: $.post('ajax.inc', function(e) {});
      template/ajax.inc: contains db-query with HTML-output
      template/home.php: contains div-element for the ajax-response, e.g. <div id='result'>...ajax-response...</div>
      It seems, PW does´nt allow database-requests via AJAX (jquery). I know the post from Ryan "How to work with AJAX driven content in ProcessWire". But this solution requires a completely new template-concept. I only need a simple solution for a small ajax-db-request.
      Thanks to all
    • By darrenc
      lets say, in _main.php I have some placeholder regions for content/sidebar
      <div id="content">foo</div> <div id="sidebar">bar</div> in my home.php template, maybe i don't want the sidebar div at all. But when I put in the intentionally blank code
      <region id="sidebar"></region> I simply make my sidebar div blank, it doesn't remove it.
      Q: Is there a slick way to simply nuke that div#sidebar entirely from markup?
    • By louisstephens
      So I was going to build a todo tracking app for myself to test/broaden my knowledge of processwire, and so far it has been taxing 😓.  My Site structure is:
      - Project One - Phase One - Task - Task - Task - Phase Two - Task - Task - Task So far it was pretty easy, I can easily foreach through the Project and get the phases with their tasks. However, it gets a bit muddled when I have more than one project as I was trying to have a dashboard where the content switches out to the selected project as opposed to accessing each project via their own url. How would yall handle this?
      My next hurdle is each task has a select field (for project status) that I want to update via ajax (for the smooth transitioning).
      Scenario: You finish a task, change the option from "new" to "completed", and an onclick changes the status drop down background to green (which I have working), but then posts/saves a field on the backend to the new option.

I have a page called "Actions" set up with url segments using
      if ($config->ajax && $input->urlSegment1 == 'change-status') { //save update field on admin } However, I am a little fuzzy on how to actually pass the current page along with the new selected status to actually update the page (task). I guess I am not very far into my endeavor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By EyeDentify
      I as have been a bit confused for some time about how the "Markup Regions" functionality in Processwire worked.
      But i have know read a bit more and think that i am getting to grips with it. And Markup Regions is going to be huge.

To aid me in understanding Markup Regions better i started to read the Source code for the new "Regular" theme in conjunction with the Blog about the markup regions.
      It helped me a great deal to understand the basics and more fine details of it.

A tip is to open both links and use the Source code of the "Regular" theme while reading the blog post.

The Source code:
      https://github.com/processwire/processwire/blob/dev/site-regular/templates/_main.php
      The Blog post:
      https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.62-and-more-on-markup-regions/

I hope this could help others starting out with markup regions.
      Just take it slow and read it a couple a times and soon you will see the greatness of markup regions.

/EyeDentify