godmok

[SOLVED] Using composer to create processwire development branch installation

Hi everyone,

I can't get my head around this, so maybe someone can help: I want to know how install the dev branch of processwire with composer.

I use laragon and the "quick create" function and there you can run composer like this: "composer create-project processwire/processwire %s". OK, this is working, so I will get the master branch from it, but how about dev? I found some examples for laravel on this question, but no luck with it. Here some examples:

• composer create-project processwire/processwire %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev
  • composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev %s
  • composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev %s --stability=dev
  • composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev
  • composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev-master %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev
  • composer create-project processwire/processwire:dev-branch %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev
  • composer create-project processwire/processwire:@dev %s --prefer-dist --stability=dev
  • and so on...

Maybe someone got this already and would like to share? :)

Did you try

composer create-project processwire/processwire dev-dev --stability=dev

?

Seems like the latest dev version is called "dev-dev". The download worked, but I didn't install it. Where is the PW version number usually mentioned ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dragan said:

Did you try

composer create-project processwire/processwire dev-dev --stability=dev

Yes, it worked! Makes quick creation and workflow even faster.

so the full line is this with the %s as variable for the folder name

# ProcessWire
ProcessWire=composer create-project processwire/processwire %s --stability=dev

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mushmush45
      Hi, 
      Could anyone advise me on the following system requirements, which I am missing for ProcessWire installation:
      DO (pdo_mysql) is required (for MySQL database)
      Fail: GD 2.0 or newer  Fail: JSON support ZipArchive support was not found. This is recommended, but not required to complete installation.    
    • By MoritzLost
      I've been working with ProcessWire for a while now, and I've noticed that using Composer to manage dependencies and autoload external libraries isn't as prevalent in ProcessWire development as in other areas of PHP programming. I started out by using the default setup recommend in this blogpost. However, one major problem I have with this approach is that all external dependencies live in the webroot (the directory the server points to), which is unfavourable from a security standpoint and, in my opinion, just feels a bit messy.
      In this tutorial, I want to go through a quick setup of Composer and ProcessWire that keeps the dependencies, all custom-written code and other source material outside of the webroot, and makes full usage of the Composer autoloader. This setup is pretty basic, so this tutorial is probably more useful to beginners (this is why I'll also include some general information on Composer), but hopefully everyone can take something away from this for their personal workflow.
      Site structure after setup
      This is what the directory structure can look like after the setup:
      . ├── composer.json ├── composer.lock ├── node_modules │   └── ... ├── public │   ├── index.php │   ├── site │   ├── wire │   └── ... ├── packacke-lock.json ├── package.json ├── sass │   ├── main.scss │   ├── _variables.scss │   └── ... ├── src │   ├── ContentBag.php │   └── ... └── vendor ├── autoload.php ├── composer ├── league ├── symfony └── ... As mentioned, the main point of this setup is to keep all external libraries, all other custom source code and resources out of the webroot. That includes Composer's vendor folder, your node_modules and JavaScript source folder if you are compiling JavaScript with webpack or something similar and including external scripts via NPM, or your CSS preprocessor files if you are using SASS or LESS. In this setup, the public directory acts as the webroot (the directory that is used as the entry point by the server, DocumentRoot in the Apache configuration). So all other files and directories in the mysite folder aren't accessible over the web, even if something goes wrong.
      One caveat of this setup is that it's not possible to install ProcessWire modules through Composer using the PW Module Installer (see Blogpost above), but that's just a minor inconvenience in my experience.
      Installation
      You'll need to have composer installed on your system for this. Installation guides can be found on getcomposer.org.
      First, open up your shell and navigate to the mysite folder.
      $ cd /path/to/mysite/ Now, we'll initialize a new Composer project:
      $ composer init The CLI will ask some questions about your projects. Some hints if you are unsure how to answer the prompts:
      Package names are in the format <vendor>/<project>, where vendor is your developer handle. I use my Github account, so I'll put moritzlost/mysite (all lowercase). Project type is project if you are creating a website. Author should be in the format Name <email>. Minimum Stability: I prefer stable, this way you only get stable versions of dependencies. License will be proprietary unless you plan on sharing your code under a FOSS license. Answer no to the interactive dependencies prompts. This creates the composer.json file, which will be used to keep track of your dependencies. For now, you only need to run the composer install command to initialize the vendor directory and the autoloader:
      $ composer install Now it's time to download and install ProcessWire into the public directory:
      $ git clone https://github.com/processwire/processwire public If you don't use git, you can also download ProcessWire manually. I like to clean up the directory after that:
      $ cd public $ rm -r .git .gitattributes .gitignore CONTRIBUTING.md LICENSE.TXT README.md Now, setup your development server to point to the /path/to/mysite/public/ directory (mind the public/ at the end!) and install ProcessWire normally.
      Including & using the autoloader
      With ProcessWire installed, we need to include the composer autoloader. If you check ProcessWire's index.php file, you'll see that it tries to include the autoloader if present. However, this assumes the vendor folder is inside the webroot, so it won't work in our case.
      One good place to include the autoloader is using a site hook file. We need the autoloader as early as possible, so we'll use init.php:
      EDIT: As @horst pointed out, it's much better to put this code inside the config.php file instead, as the autoloader will be included much earlier:
      // public/site/config.php <?php namespace Processwire; require '../../vendor/autoload.php'; The following also doesn't apply when including the autoloader in the config-file.
      This has one caveat: Since this file is executed by ProcessWire after all modules had their init methods called, the autoloader will not be available in those. I haven't come across a case where I needed it this early so far; however, if you really need to include the autoloader earlier than that, you could just edit the lines in the index.php file linked above to include the correct autoloader path. In this case, make sure not to overwrite this when you update the core!
      Now we can finally include external libraries and use them in our code without hassle! I'll give you an example. For one project, I needed to parse URLs and check some properties of the path, host et c. I could use parse_url, however that has a couple of downsides (specifically, it doesn't throw exceptions, but just fails silently). Since I didn't want to write a huge error-prone regex myself, I looked for a package that would help me out. I decided to use this URI parser, since it's included in the PHP League directory, which generally stands for high quality.
      First, install the dependency (from the project root, the folder your composer.json file lives in):
      $ composer require league/uri-parser This will download the package into your vendor directory and refresh the autoloader.
      Now you can just use the package in your own code, and composer will autoload the required class files:
      // public/site/templates/basic-page.php <?php namespace Processwire; use \League\Uri\Parser; // ... if ($url = $page->get('url')) { $parser = new Parser(); $parsed_url = $parser->parse($url); // do stuff with $parsed_url ... } Wiring up custom classes and code
      Another topic that I find really useful but often gets overlooked in Composer tutorials is the ability to wire up your own namespace to a folder. So if you want to write some object-oriented code outside of your template files, this gives you an easy way to autoload those using Composer as well. If you look at the tree above, you'll see there's a src/ directory inside the project root, and a ContentBag.php file inside. I want to connect classes in this directory with a custom namespace to be able to have them autoloaded when I use them in my templates.
      To do this, you need to edit your composer.json file:
      { "name": "moritzlost/mysite", "type": "project", "license": "proprietary", "authors": [ { "name": "Moritz L'Hoest", "email": "info@herebedragons.world" } ], "minimum-stability": "stable", "require": {}, "autoload": { "psr-4": { "MoritzLost\\MySite\\": "src/" } } } Most of this stuff was added during initialization, for now take note of the autoload information. The syntax is a bit tricky, since you have to escape the namespace seperator (backslash) with another backslash (see the documentation for more information). Also note the PSR-4 key, since that's the standard I use to namespace my classes.
      The line "MoritzLost\\MySite\\": "src/" tells Composer to look for classes under the namespace \MoritzLost\MySite\ in the src/ directory in my project root. After adding the autoload information, you have to tell composer to refresh the autoloader information:
      $ composer dump-autoload Now I'm ready to use my classes in my templates. So, if I have this file:
      // src/ContentBag.php <?php namespace MoritzLost\MySite; class ContentBag { // class stuff } I can now use the ContentBag class freely in my templates without having to include those files manually:
      // public/site/templates/home.php <?php namespace Processwire; use MoritzLost\MySite\ContentBag; $contentbag = new ContentBag(); // do stuff with contentbag ... Awesome!
      By the way, in PSR-4, sub-namespaces correspond to folders, so I can put the class MoritzLost\MySite\Stuff\SomeStuff in src/Stuff/SomeStuff.php and it will get autoloaded as well. If you have a lot of classes, you can group them this way.
      Conclusion
      With this setup, you are following secure practices and have much flexibility over what you want to include in your project. For example, you can just as well initialize a JavaScript project by typing npm init in the project root. You can also start tracking the source code of your project inside your src/ directory independently of the ProcessWire installation. All in all, you have good seperation of concerns between ProcessWire, external dependencies, your templates and your OOP-code, as well as another level of security should your Server or CGI-handler ever go AWOL. You can also build upon this approach. For example, it's good practice to keep credentials for your database outside the webroot. So you could modify the public/site/config.php file to include a config or .env file in your project root and read the database credentials from there.
      Anyway, that's the setup I came up with. I'm sure it's not perfect yet; also this tutorial is probably missing some information or isn't detailed enough in some areas depending on your level of experience. Feel free to ask for clarification, and to point out the things I got wrong. I like to learn as well 🙂
      Thanks for making it all the way to the bottom. Cheers!
    • By neosin
      During the install process I can never get to Step 4 for setting up an admin account.
      It creates the database and in the screen it shows it installed the database and imported the SQL
      and under that it shows "Profile Import" but nothing else.
      I have the same result with master & dev branch.
      I looked in the database and do not see a user table of any kind, unless it has some other name than "users"
    • By Stikki
      Howdy,
      i was just wondering if there is already workaround in core that would automatically sniff for composer.json up on module installation and install dependencies?
      What i'm currently doing is that i include vendor folder into modules, but somehow this feels stupid as of core could just handle this part up on module installation and place dependencies under ROOT_PATH/vendor/?
      i tried quickly to look around for previous posts about this topic, but couldn't find anything.
      Cheers!

• By devlisa
      Hello. I'm not new to Processwire (I've been using it on a Mac environment for multiple site builds), but I am new to installing it on a Windows environment. I have unsuccessfully installed Processwire 3.0.62 both via downloaded zip file and GitHub on my Windows machine. The Site Installation Profile and Compatibility Checks are successful, and I am able to get past the MySql Database screen. However, this is where the installation process stops (step 3). The Test Database and Save Configuration screen says my database connection was successful and the configuration was saved to ./site/config.php and that's it, but I know from my ProcessWire experience I should also see fields for setting up the admin login etc. on this screen. I can't go any further after this. I've redone this process multiple times. I am running XAMPP, if that helps. Any clue what could be stopping the installation process?