Before PW & After PW

Pete

• 5 months later...

Greetings,

This is fun. But it really is a good subject to compare what life is like before and after ProcessWire.

I already posted my humorous visual. But now, after using ProcessWire more in recent months, here's another way I see it...

Before ProcessWire

I spent too much time comparing and experimenting with CMSs and frameworks, chasing after specific capabilities. How well does this system do search? What are the templating or theming requirements? Is there a module for [fill in need]? Does it do tags? Is it easy to integrate scripts? No single system did all of these things well, so I was always trying another one, always having to be satisfied with "good enough," and always working around limitations. New projects always presented another "surprise" coding need I had not considered before, forcing me to search again for a system that can do it.

After ProcessWire

I can confidently handle all of these capabilities, dong them the way I need them to be done for each project, and I know the system will provide an intuitive way to handle those "surprise" coding needs that inevitably arise. I gain better and better understanding of the underlying coding principles behind these development capabilities.

Thanks,

Matthew

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

In the spirit of Matthew Following Matthew's example, I'm going to be boring and actually take this serious. Sorry guys, no funny images here.  :)

Before: I was basically switching my “go-to CMS” every, phew, 6 months or something like that? I'm not going to list them all since I don't see the point in that, but suffice it to say that I have at least evaluated almost any CMS that regularly shows up in one of those “most popular open-source CMS” lists. And frankly, they basically all suck in one way or another. As Matthew stated, it was basically looking for the lesser evil for any given project.

After: I just looked it up – the last time I built a new site with a CMS other than PW was September 2013 (explicit client's request for a specific CMS). I frequently do freelance frontend developement for an agency which uses TYPO3 for almost everything, and I catch myself thinking “Boy, how easy this-and-that would be in ProcessWire …”

In fact, I finished a project the other day which was built in static HTML because (project management voice) “… a site like this can't be implemented with a CMS.” It could've been. Easily. Just would have had to use the right CMS.

Most important of all, and this is what I always mention when I talk to people about ProcessWire, I'm now actually having fun implementing sites. That used to be very different back in the day.

• Like 9

I frequently do freelance frontend developement for an agency which uses TYPO3 for almost everything, and I catch myself thinking “Boy, how easy this-and-that would be in ProcessWire …”

Same here :)

• Like 3

I know that using PW compared to many others can make you FEEL like you have died and gone to heaven, but as far as I am aware, Matthew is still very much with us! :)

Well, his web site is currently throwing a 509 Bandwidth limit exceeded …  ;)

No, seriously, apologies for that. I like to think of myself as someone with a pretty decent knowledge of the English language, but at the end of the day, I'm not a native speaker. (I wasn't really sure about the particular idiom. Should've looked it up. Sorry, Matthew.)  :-[

• Like 1

Greetings,

It's embarrassing when you set a bandwidth limit on your own website -- then manage to exceed it.  I'm in the process of completely revamping that silly old site anyway.  It just keeps getting put off in favor of those nagging paying clients.

Thanks for the heads up.

Very much still alive,

Matthew

• Like 4