Overall state of Processwire ecosystem

tired_eyes

Hi!

I've been  a huge fan of MODX for years, but the bitter truth is bitter - MODX is stagnating. Long-awaited MODX3 is not even on the radar and the core team seems to be eternally busy with MODXCloud. So I'm in search for suitable replacement. Have tried Drupal 8, October,  but Processwire looks like an optimal choice for ex-MODXer.

I don't want to make same mistake twice, so before diving in I'd like to know, what is the current state of Processwire? Is it actively developed and maintained? How does it play with modern PHP tendences (Composer, PSR etc)?

I've found some "MODX to PW" topics around, and they give generally positive imporessions, but they all are rather old.

There is a new development release of Processwire every week that you can download. The upcoming version 3 (currently in alpha) will allow for composer support and lots of other things. Its a good time to get involved. I made the switch about 6 months ago and I haven't looked back. I feel I have only just scratched the surface with what this system could potentially do.

• Like 11

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

The ProcessWire eco-system is active. Ryan Cramer, the creator, is continuously adding new features to PW (on the dev branch) and fixing bugs as he goes along. The community here is small, but active and very helpful. The Modules Directory is also active, with some interesting modules popping up on a regular basis.

As mentioned above, PW3 will be Composer-ready, with namespace support. Many here are quite excited about PW3.

Version 2.7 is just around the corner (maybe this week), and contains several great updates in comparison to the current 2.6.1 stable.

So yes, I recommend the jump. :)

• Like 5

Thank you for quick reply.

The ProcessWire eco-system is active...

Glad to know this. As I already said, Processwire looks _very_ attractive from the MODXer point of view and seems to be a cure for many longstanding MODX issues, so I definitely will give it a try.

Please, someone kick me in the head, I must be sleeping or something.

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/issues/1506

I've opened this ticket yesterday, and today it's already resolved. I'm realy impressed by such amazing speed and feedback. Honestly, right now every thing about PW looks too good to be true. I realize that this is sort of "honeymoon" with new software that eventually will end, but oh well.

• Like 9

@tired_eyes, everything ends but ProcessWire just stepped in a new era and is not likely to go away soon. The 3.0 step will be a big transition but for building sites (writing templates) it's not going to change anything. I don't know any system that's more consistent and simple to use, yet so powerful. Say your PW journey ends over a year of 5 you've gained so much `ProcessWire` knowledge, you will realise then that you fully mastered the language PHP.

• Like 7