Suddenly Sloooow

BFD Calendar

Since a few days without any system changes, updates or whatever Processwire is running very slow on my localhost:8888, it takes almost a minute for any page to load, including admin pages. I'm using MampPro on Mac OSX 10.10. Other (html) sites run fine and I'm just working on one PW site. Anybody has any idea where to look?

PW 2.6.18 - PHP 5.6.7 cache module off - Apache port 8888 - MySQL 5.5.42 port 8890 - using MAMP Pro 3.2.1 - MacBook Pro OSX 10.10

or Apache/2.2.29 (Unix) mod_wsgi/3.4 Python/2.7.8 PHP/5.6.7 mod_ssl/2.2.29 OpenSSL/0.9.8zg DAV/2 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 mod_perl/2.0.8 Perl/v5.20.0 configured

Please review this Stackoverflow thread

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18537887/mamp-localhost-resolving-very-slowly

Also, please look at this ProcessWire Forum thread

https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8805-slow-admin-localhost/

Edited by cstevensjr
Added ProcessWire Thread on slowness

Well I narrowed everything down to ProcessWire itself and found out what was happening....

I had been importing a lot of pages from .csv files that needed to be available in all languages. For that somebody here advised me a ready.php file with a 'set all languages active' script. That worked fine, but now it turned out it was making ProcessWire more sluggish by the day. Commenting everything in the ready.php file made ProcessWire jump again like a young horse.

That was indeed what I had:

// SET ALL LANGUAGES ACTIVE SCRIPT

$pages->setOutputFormatting(false);
$pag = $pages->find("template='students'");
foreach($pag as $p) {
    foreach($languages as $lang) {
      if($lang->isDefault()) continue;
      $p->set("status$lang", 1);
      $p->save();
    }
}

Was that code being loaded on every page request?

Probably, otherwise there would be no reason for the code to slow things down. It should be noted that this code should only be run after one has created a bunch of multilang pages from the API.

Or if you imported a lot of pages from a .csv file. I imported over 500 'students' - in several batches - that needed to be available in two languages. When importing from .csv pages are only published in the default language, which is why I used the code.

I keep the 'ready.php' with code commented so I can run it after importing some more pages from .csv. Apparently the page can be used for other purposes as well but I'll leave that to the experienced users here.

Changed the best answer because Sinnut is right, scripts that are to alter things after a big import routine should only be run once, not repeatedly.

Also, it might be worth having another field called something like "languages_done" so if you do your import of new pages more than once you can store a 1 in that field and skip over the pages that are already done and only do the new pages otherwise you're changing and saving the existing pages too.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be better – in my case – to have the script search for pages where template=student and languages are not active and then set them to active? Otherwise I have to add the 'languages_done' and store a 1 in all the pages that are already there. And maybe if it doesn't find any it wouldn't slow down anything either, except of course the time of running a useless script.

Your current code wouldn't be massively scalable as you're iterating every single page regardless of whether it has been previously processed or not. Your additional check you just mentioned - yes, you could (and probably should) do that with a longer selector, but I'm not sure what it's actually doing (is there a field for every language? Not sure what status$lang is doing).

The extra field with the 1 in it after saving a page you've processed would mean the loop skips loading those pages that have already been processed next time you run it. I suggested the field with the 1 in purely as a quick example. The extra field wouldn't add much overhead as it's only used during this process (fields aren't pulled from the database when viewing a page unless you use them somewhere in your templates) but yes, there are other ways to do this too.

If it is only to be run after every time you import large numbers of pages, you could also just jot down the last page ID and put ", id>14950" for example at the end of your selector.

Lots of options :)

• Like 1

From a few tests I did the option ", id>14950" was definitely the best. As soon as the script has to search through over 2000 pages it bounces on several '30 seconds' errors. And it's definitely better to break down .csv imports to about 200 and run the script before it chokes.