Dev and master versions

icietla

Hello,

I always use the master version of Processwire but today, reading the download page I'm confused.

" The dev version is recommended for new and development sites, while the master version is recommended for existing and production sites. "

Does it mean that we should use the dev version for new sites but just if we want to try this version? Because new sites will of course became production sites...

May be a stupid question !  :-[

Can someone just clarify this?

The commits to the dev branch are always very solid and stable. I've used the dev branch for several production sites in the past, but fully realizing I do this at my own peril. I've never experienced an issue that caused me to revert to the master branch. However, I do try to stick with the current master for most production sites.

Upgrading is super simple. As of 2.5.3 (the current master) you can upgrade/downgrade/DB backup from within the admin.

• Like 3

I think the message behind the new wording is that the you should stick with the stable version for existing sites because in some cases behaviors may have changed with the dev version and there might potentially be issues with 3rd party modules. The reason it is ok to use dev for new sites is that you are checking that everything is working as you are developing the site so you know that everything is working as expected.

Personally I use dev on all my sites, but wait a little while to upgrade when Ryan has noted that there are some major changes - also I test these new changes for a bit on my dev sites so I understand the changes and help to debug any issues that may have arisen.

Out of interest, check out the results of the poll on what versions people are using where: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/8946-dev-or-stable-branch/

• Like 4

My experience is that once you get advanced, it can happen that you discover all the new bugs a dev brings. So not always recommended to run latest dev with a project you go live very soon. But sometimes you have to, to get a bugfix from a earlier dev version. Just my experience.

Edit: To be fair. There can be bugs in both versions. But if you using dev I recommend you follow the commits, and see if an update is of benefit or not. I also sometimes wait 1-2weeks before updating, when there used to be bugs that were introduced in a previous commit.

• Like 3

Chances are high that if you find a more real bug, that broke something, it's often on Ryan's prio list and usually a matter of hours or 1 day to fix it. If it's something more complicated it can take longer but then it may was even in master undiscovered since some time.

Also as other have mentioned dev is pretty darn stable, just make sure to report a bug if found. It's fun :)

It's going on so fast, now 2.5.3 feels like an old hat. Go with the flow.

http://processwire.com/blog/

• Like 4

• 1 month later...