Can't create new page when enabled via template-based permissions for role with parent of different tpl

hellomoto

I'm playing around with permissions for THE FIRST TIME and I'm quite excited about the whole thing because when I log in as this other role I made I realize how much cleaner it looks of course to somebody who isn't developing the site.

Anyway I have a template listing that is the default/only created under template listings. (A listing may not have children.) So then I made a role, listing_manager, you know... to manage the listings... granted permission to view, edit, and create them. Problem is, when logged in as the listing manager, I can edit the listings, but there's no "New" link to create any? I guess that's because that link is part of the listings page/template's row/branch, so... it doesn't show for its children though... which are all of the same template where the role does have permission to create. This seems like a silly bug. 

Any suggestions as to what might be the simplest, cleanest fix for this? or maybe I have something set up wrong? Thanks.

Also, regarding this newfound non-superuser experience: I always thought to put settings fields, intended for site admins, who aren't superusers, in hidden pages, for things like content blocks or random settings that control content output on the frontend... Now I see all the hidden pages are actually hidden from me as a logged in user. Is there a way to display certain hidden pages for certain users? Because if I have a page strictly for some global settings, that's not going to be publicly viewable... or even viewable at all, just editable. Right?

I may have read this wrong, at first you said

(A listing may not have children.) 

Then you say

I can edit the listings, but there's no "New" link to create any? 

I believe you can't create a child if you have already stated that there will be no children under that template.

I may have read this wrong, at first you said

(A listing may not have children.) 

Then you say

I can edit the listings, but there's no "New" link to create any? 

I believe you can't create a child if you have already stated that there will be no children under that template.

Ah, sorry. Re-reading my own post I was almost confused again...

A listing (single) may not have children. The "New" link shows up beside the parent, for a "new" child; while the "edit" link shows up beside the actual pages. So the ones I can edit are the individual listings; but the "new" listing link shows up in its parent, which is plural Listings... so I guess since this user doesn't have permission to edit the listings (plural) template (listing's parent), the "new" listing (single) link isn't showing up beside it.(?)

I'm sorry if that's confusing. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about... or tomorrow I'll post a screenshot... like today...