Facebook/Twitter and RSS

ryan

I have a question from a client that I didn't know the answer to, and was wondering if anyone here does. Lets say you have an RSS feed in ProcessWire outputting your news stories. Is there a way to setup Twitter and/or Facebook (even if 3rd party tool required) to automatically send out a new tweet/post when something is added to the RSS feed? I would think there should be, but just didn't know. I do know you could do it with their APIs, but didn't know if one could connect an RSS feed to their Twitter/Facebook feed.

You can pull rss feeds to notes, but not sure if autoshare to wall is possible (without app or api).

http://www.ehow.com/how_2031209_import-rss-feed.html

There seems to be bunch of apps that pull rss and post to wall, but not sure which one of those are reliable and don't pollute your wall. I have been thinking of building simple module doing just that - this way you could choose if you want to post to facebook or not. There is nice and recent tutorial on nettuts about this too: http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/php/wrangling-with-the-facebook-graph-api/

If you wanted to code something yourself and work with a good class to achieve this (in Twitter anyway) then Tijs Verkoyen's Twitter class is absolutely excellent and he also has a bunch of other handy classes: http://classes.verkoyen.eu/ - just make sure you use the Oauth version of the class.

Granted I've only used it to display tweets from Twitter and not publish anything to Twitter, but I'm sure that side of things works well too.

• 2 months later...

Wow! That sounds like it would be very useful in a lot of scenarios. I can already see this being useful for something as mundane as "if I have made a new Tweet then add the same message on Facebook".

Neat - going to try this out at some point :)

ifttt is such a clever idea, would be nice to have PW as a channel there ;)

I was just thinking the same thing, but I was thinking of sending data in and out. I think it would be too complicated for PW for various reasons, but would be awesome if it could somehow be configured to work with any page structure.

• 1 year later...

To pick this up again, I'm using twitterfeed.com to get a feed from a Blogger page and then send it to Twitter and several Facebook pages. I also get the feed with mailchimp.com and send it out as a daily mail to subscribers. All automatically as soon as a new post is added to Blogger. The posts at Blogger are scheduled to publish every day between 1.00 and 2.00 am to make sure everybody wakes up with suggestions for some celebrations of the day.

I'm hoping to do this from ProcessWire from 1 January 2014 onwards, if possible also send the feed to Blogger as well.

• Like 1