Becoming a Web Developer

marek747

Hi

I am thinking about offering a web development services in my country. I have many questions and I don't know where to ask but I think you guys could help me a lot.

I want to offer simple websites that are easy to do in PW. Some simple websites for businesses, services, local businesses and so on. No e-shops, apps or too complicated stuff...

When I look at websites that offer web development services, to me they clearly suck. I made some Google searches ... I can make a list of things that I could do better than them in my online presentation... some websites look like from 2002. Really horrible IMO... However, I still don't say it is going to be easy.

I am good at HTML, CSS, SCSS, Foundation 5 - so designing a template is not a problem. I have not fully learned JS and jQuery, but have gone through them in CodeCadamy along with PHP, Ruby, Python ... so I have almost completed CodeCadamy. Foundation 5 offers many plugins that I am comfortable using, so I am not sure how much of JS/jQ do I need ... And also I still need to get comfortable with PW since I have not really even tried it.

So here are my questions...

1. What coding knowledge should I make sure I have before starting?

2. I am a high school student do you think it is manageable to do about 2 simple projects a month?

3. What about webhosting? Should I get some kind of reseller hosting? Which is the best one? Mediatemple looks good to me. Many big brands use their hosting, so I figured it could be more high-end and reliable solution.

4. How would you recommend getting first clients?

5. Where can I learn more about communicating with clients, what question to ask, what to be careful about and so on?

6. What should I charge for simple website ? Some static pages, custom responsive design, contact form, Google maps, maybe a simple blog, CMS access

7. Any other tip that you think could be helpful?

Thanks,

Marek

• Like 2

1) I think you already got enough to start  :). You will get the rest only doing real things for money with time limits.

2) It depends on how much time do you have. But I am sure you cаn manage 2 per month just cutting your sleep time.

3) I think that you should't worry too much about the right hosting solution for those first small project, Just get anything shared that suits you with some partner program. I used to register individual shared hosting accounts for clients.

4) Why not try freelance sites? There are probably a couple of them in your area (do not know wherе you are). You could offer you services here in the appropriate branch of the forum.

5) I think best way to learn is to go out and try. Just decide what you have to offer and what do you want for it. And then they try to cut it down as much as they can, and you tell them that crafting a site is something bigger than making a word document. Good argument is how much time does it take to do it.

6) It really depends on where you are. I guess you can analize what your competition has to offer and/or try to estimate how long will it take you to do the job.

7) Just start and then you'll know that to do.

• Like 2

Hello Marek747

Welcome to the website developers world.

You are not the first with exactly these questions.

If you go through this forum history you will find real good answers for these questions

given by talented coders and experienced web developers. Just look for them.

One good thing is that you have found processwire that compared to the other big cms'es

out there will save you time in quality and manageable website developing.

But to answer some of your questions from my own experience.

Becoming a webdeveloper and making money with that is simply

not easy in the beginning. It takes time and studying the market.

Besides a cms you need to be very good in html, php and css

and prototyping a layout that reflects the look and feel for your client

and communicate that clear with your client.

Many times a client does not have a clear idea of what he wants but makes

you responsible if he does not get what he wants. So prototyping until you

know what your client exactly wants is important. Also to get payed in case

a client decides to change what he wants during the process or in case he

wants to cancel the project during the process.

That takes time to learn with lots of practise.

And that is only halve of it.

The other halve is finding projects, planning your time with deadlines, good client communication,

getting payed, etc.

Don't go for reseller web hosting alone, too much good competition.

Better combine making a website including web hosting for your client

and make a price for that combination.

A good tip is try to work together with an established designer/developer.

They usually have lots of work and need a helping hand. It will speed up

your learning process drastically.

Good luck

• Like 4

hi marek!

unfortunately there will always be someone who gets paid more money for a worse job/website ;) so

1) don't be afraid, just do it! the first step is always the hardest and you will NEVER know everything, especially not in our fast web-world :)

2) coding skills are only a part of your job as a freelancer and many other parts (client communications, selling/marketing strategy and so on) you can not learn via internet...

i wish you the best and i think you are well prepared!

A good tip is try to work together with an established designer/developer.

They usually have lots of work and need a helping hand. It will speed up

your learning process drastically.

that's a very good advice!

• Like 2

If you only want to be a web developer my advise would be to look for a web developer job.

People tend to forget about the most important part of being a freelancer: networking!

You have to be good in communicating with people. That means being open, talk to people (getting to know them, etc.), especially in the beginning when you're not a big deal yet.

And as pwired already mentioned probably the most dificult task as a web designer is to find out what the client wants even though the client doesn't know that himself (or just isn't able to tell it).

The coding/designing part is in fact the easiest! At least, that's what I experienced...

• Like 5

As hdesigns said, NETWORKING is crucial to your survival!

Everyone does things differently. Something may work well for YOU, but not well for ME. There will be lots of suggestions and recommendations from many people here that have been doing this job. Some of us have worked with established firms, others do it as a hobby.

So the answers you get will be wild and various.

With that said. I'll tell you how I operate.

NETWORK

If you are serious about this business, get some GOOD business cards made. Don't go cheap. Spend good money on some good high quality printed business cards. You should even go further and design them yourself! Show off your design skills with your first step! Hand someone your card, explain what you do AND mention that you designed your own card!

Talk to friends and family. Let them all know your intentions.

I have "scouts" all over town. Lots of my friends and family know what I do.

To give them an incentive to send me clients, I give them a gift (to my friends/family) if they send me someone and I get them to sign a contract.

Nothing big ya know. But something to show them I appreciate them helping me find work.

I also give incentives to existing and past clients.

I'll give them a discount on existing or future work if they send me a new client. It's a small price to pay to keep them happy AND not forget about me when the job is done.

HAVE A CONTRACT!!!

This can not be overstated!

This will save your butt some day!

It does not have to be full of legalese and dramatic courtroom jargon. Keep it simple but detailed enough to explain what your client expects from you. What you expect from your client. Estimated dates if possible. Outline the various milestones that lead to project completion. Define the payment schedule. Whether it be 50% deposit and the rest payable in time. Or one lump sum. Or your hourly billing fee.

I have a small NDA clause in mine. NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement.

There are times that I've charged a small fee. Other times I've billed higher. I don't want a past client to tell someone else how much they paid. Each client and website is different. Therefore their prices are different. You know: complexity, duration, etc.

Also because you'll be conducting business with someone, there will be times you will be privvy to private business information that your client doesn't want others to know. You should know enough to get the job done. No more. No less. Well. That's how I've done things.

COMMUNICATE

As a part of my contract, I state that I will reply to all emails within 24 hours.

I like to maintain ALL communication via email. I am strict about that. No colored bold or italic fonts with hearts and smiley faces.

They are NOT to call me. Nor text me (unless it is an emergency). I like to have a trail that can be followed between all involved parties. That way, IF things should go poorly, I have something to protect ME, with peoples names, times and dates. Who said what, etc.

WORKSTATION

You probably won't have anyone mention this.

You may have the idea of working from home. If so, invest in a comfortable chair, nothing too expensive. But you'll spend hours in this seat.

Set your monitor at the proper height and distance to minimize eye strain.

Eliminate distractions. Stop browsing Facebook. Set your phone to silent.

Set your desk/station against a wall instead of a window. Avoid that distraction.

Follow an agreeable work schedule. For every 25 minutes of straight work, reward yourself with a 5 minute break. Or 50 minutes of work and break for 10. Do what feels best. Make sure you stretch your arms, back, wrists, etc. Carpel tunnel is a terrible terrible pain.

Just because you'll work from home. Avoid the tendency to work in your pajamas. SUIT UP!

Work for yourself like you are working for someone else. Start at the same time every day. End at the same time every day.

I used to take my kids to school. On the way home, I would stop for a cup of coffee and a danish at my favorite little place. And take my cup of coffee and danish to my work station at home. I was at my desk at the same time every day.

It sounds silly, but it enforces good work habits.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 9