Blog modules

Peter Knight

Hi guys

I was looking for your input on ProcessWire as a blogging solution.

Am primarily concerned about comment functionality and moderation.

I'm not too concerned about tags or categories but would be great to get some general advice.

I realise I could go down the Disquss path for comments and that's certainly an option too if commenting isn't supported.

Many thanks.

Hi Sparrow,

Wow, it seems we are not doing a good job advertising what's already available in ProcessWire :D....

There's already two Blogging solutions (actually one is just an extension of the other...)

1. Blog Profile: http://mods.pw/2M

2. Blog Module: http://mods.pw/6U

They both support commenting (though not threaded comments)....For any specific help please post in their respective forums...

• Like 3

Thanks Kongondo.

I actually found both of them just after posting. Many thanks for the link.

What I'm hoping for is some real world advice on the actual profile and module. Do they work well or are they problematic?

I ask because a different CMS with which I blog has a "blogging" add-on. However, lately support for it has been patchy and there are talks about disbanding it.

Unless you were part of the forums, one could unwittingly end up using something which has already been marked with a short life-span. 

So real world input from users would be great.  :)

BTW, the link to the Skeleton framework is broken on this page

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/blog-profile/

Theres a vital question on the BlogProfile module which hasn't been answered.

Does this only work as a standalone blog or can it be incorporated into an existing Processwire installation? 

Can anyone answer this for me as the /blog would be just a small part of an eventual "full" site. That full site may even involved more than 1 blog too :-/

All Site Profiles need to be installed as a fresh installs (i.e. cannot be incorporated - at least not directly) into existing sites. But there's a module that can help with migration...Having said that, if you go this route, you can eventually add other 'normal' pages around the Blog install that don't have to be part of the Blog. If you are familiar with PW, you will know that it's all about pages...In this case you incorporate the site around the Blog install (note: Site Profiles are not module per se)

The other Blog module (the second one I linked to) can be installed on an existing site. Currently, it doesn't support multi-blogs. In this case you incorporate the Blog around the site...

Read more in their respective forums :-)

Edited by kongondo

Theres a vital question on the BlogProfile module which hasn't been answered.

Can anyone answer this for me as the /blog would be just a small part of an eventual "full" site. That full site may even involved more than 1 blog too :-/

Hi I am just testing the Blog Module as an add-on to an existing PW site. So far so good. It seems robust, why wouldn't it be - it's Processwire ^-^

Installation is easy. When you install the module it chucks the required templates into the /template/ folder and adds the templates and fields to the admin. There is a separate admin area with a dashboard for the blog.

I'm messing about with the styling which is easy - just change what you want in the blog.css.

Comments, categories, tags etc are simple to maintain.

This is currently on localhost and I haven't finished testing yet but this is what I have found so far. I hope it helps?

• Like 4