Shoot your own foot

Soma

If you add temporary code, to delete certain pages, to the templates/admin.php:

remember to remove it afterwards to avoid headaches, facepalms and keep you healthy.

Actually happened a couple times already, I'm getting older too. :)

• Like 8

The best one I ever did (many, many years ago) was to reformat a disc.

I studiously backed up the contents to another drive and then reformatted the entire disc.

I can't remember exactly what the point was when I remembered that the other drive was in fact just a partition of the same disc.....

• Like 3

Formatting a harddisk doesn't make the data on it go away, only overwriting does. It only looks like that because

the data is no longer accessable through the bootrecord/partition table. An off-line sector scanner like RStudio brings back all data after formatting a harddisk.

I just tried 40 minutes to connect to a DB server via a python script, always getting errors that no host is available.... until I finally realized, that the IP used was not public and I needed a VPN connection first.

:'(

• Like 1

Wanze, I am always doing things like that. I develop web stuff on a local box where I create domain names with my own local top level domain which is a sort of in-family joke about a character I used to do for the kids - and then just massage my host file to point in the right place.

When a client wanted to see something I was doing the other day, I happily emailed him a link.

"What the hell is dot BEAR?" he replied

• Like 2