PW-meetup at Tampere, Finland

apeisa

Good meet everybody and thanks for a great company! Route where is PW going is just awesome and can't wait for all the goodies that 2014 will bring us - this thing is on fire!

• Like 5

Tom: all the feedback were highly positive. First comment: when is this available? Some questions too: IE8 IE9 support (I said, that might have, but not with high priority)? Mobile friendliness (I showed)?

One participiant had unfortunate situation with clients that are stuck with IE8 IE9, so they were worried about that.

Some questions too: IE8 support (I said, that might have, but not with high priority)?

If you're referring to my comments, IE8 isn't important at all -- IE9 still is, as that's what a lot of our customers use at the moment. Can't remember for sure, so perhaps someone else did mention IE8, though..  :)

Cool. It's well tested on IE9 - majority of our Windows are still using it. I'll support the same browsers Ryan supports with the default theme. If that means IE8 support (grrr.), then I'll do it. ;)

• Like 2

Some companies still using XP so IE is limited to IE8, the real problem here is not IE8, but their compatibility mode. Which turn render engines to IE7. We all hate the box models in IE7 and hate the bloated extra markup to let it work as expected. But we can't simply use conditional comments to know if IE8 is rendering in compatibility mode or not. (This is real ugly)

I do think in a controlled environment (pw admin) we should set some restrictions. All companies using XP, can browse happy the internet.

Please Ryan, drop IE8 support and make happy site editors !

• Like 1

@Martijn: I'm really not an expert on this, but we've had good results with simple X-UA-Compatible meta tag. Seem to work in most case, i.e. force IE out of the "please break the Internet for me" mode. One gotcha is that it has to be the very first thing on that page (right after <head> opening tag, that is) or it won't have any effect at all.

In some cases X-UA-Compatible header is more feasible option and seems to work slightly better even.

• Like 1

Was just typing essentially the same thing. What Teppo suggested works. Fortunately for me we don't have any XP machines on campus anymore and officially no support for IE8, but I did support it for years.

I just don't get it. Don't chrome and ff work on XP?

They sure do, but in many organisations users won't have the luxury of choosing their own tools.. and IT department is most likely to go with whatever is easiest to keep up to date, often meaning whatever was bundled with the OS. Once you've got hundreds (or thousands) of workstations to care for, you're going to need to set some limits, that's just a fact.

Not to mention all those custom-built legacy applications that depend on current environment and would cost a lot to upgrade :)

I know how it works, I worked if a couple of companies that not being too big had the same kind of policy, more by laziness than any other reason. I understand that we, as service providers can't change that and have to adapt to the circumstances, but that doesn't mean that I understand how it is possible that, after so many years and even after microsoft themselves stopped supporting these browsers, they are still being used. Whenever I go to a bank or state department and they use a IE browser in a XP machine to access my personal data all my body shivers...

• Like 1

I do know how it works in companies regarding update policies. [ the sales department in our company still uses XP (lazyness?) ]

Staying compatible with ie8 and lower is I think it's not worth the effort. Microsoft has abandoned ship and companies know.

ProcessWire development slows down when IE8 support is still there.

I agree with you guys. Actually, last time I checked, current default admin theme had a few quirks with IE8 (one of the reasons we didn't enable it for our clients in the first place), so I don't think we are (or Ryan is) spending much energy towards that anymore. As long as the back-end works properly with IE9, which a lot of our customers are still stuck with, I'm totally happy.

When it comes to front-end work, we're using statistics to decide which browsers the sites we build should be most vigorously tested on, and in this regard the situation is pretty good already. According to StatCounter statistics from last 3 months IE8 and IE9, combined, account roughly for 5% of all users around here -- making those a lot less important than IE11, for an example.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...