Image and file base

vxda

Hi, i think it would be nice to have some sort of assets base in admin panel.

Once uploaded img or file coull be used multiple times on diffrent pages insted of uploading same files over and over.

I imagine a button next to browse files,  called choose file from base or something like that.

Ty :)

Regards

Paweł

You can already use one image multiple times across different pages over and over :). I am assuming you mean inserting an image in a page using a rich text editor. if, on the other hand, you mean several pages sharing the same image in their image fields by referencing only one uploaded image, then ignore my response :D

As for an assets manager, that has come up a lot in the forums..., btw...

Edited by kongondo

I was thinking about field image cause in my case im using it for galleries and stuff.

If im correct right now there are folders created for each page id, and i have same image multiple times uploaded on my server.

But why do you need to upload them multiple times? You can access them from any page, either through the RTE example above, or using the API to display them in your templates like:

$pages->get("name-of-other-page-with-image")->image-field-name->url

That assumes the images field is set to only handle one image. If it contains more than one, you would need:

$pages->get("name-of-other-page-with-image")->image-field-name->first()->url

or instead of first(), you could choose last() or eq(n) where n is the number of the image in the field based on their order.

lets say i have page gallery 1 and in it i have img1,img2,img3,img4.

on my other page i want to use same some images, lets say img2 and img4 to do that i need to find the files on my disk instead of just picking them up from server where they already are uploaded.

same goes with files, lets say i got 20 files i need on my website but on diffrent pages, now each time i need same file for a diffrent page i have to upload it again.

Best way of saying what i mean is this plugin for EE:
http://devot-ee.com/add-ons/assets

Pawel,

I think you're misunderstanding something. Have you read what adrian posted?

on my other page i want to use same some images, lets say img2 and img4 to do that i need to find the files on my disk instead of just picking them up from server where they already are uploaded.

You can get the images from your gallery page anywhere in any template. No need to upload them multiple times:

$images = $pages->get('/galleries/gal1/')->images;
//Pick second image
$img = $images->eq(1);
// Pick fourth image
$img = $images->eq(3);

All these avatar changes are freaking me out :)

I am starting to see vxda's point. I was caught up on embedding into RTEs and then display through templates, but I can see the scenario where it would be great to have a client be able to insert an existing image from another page into a dedicated image field.

• Like 1

Pawel,

I think you're misunderstanding something. Have you read what adrian posted?

You can get the images from your gallery page anywhere in any template. No need to upload them multiple times:

$images = $pages->get('/galleries/gal1/')->images;
//Pick second image
$img = $images->eq(1);
// Pick fourth image
$img = $images->eq(3);

Wanze but can you do it from admin panel ?

Its exacly what onjegolders says. :)

I don't think it is the same thing. It's great what Soma has done but

I think we're talking more about an image field which brings up an

interface to select an image from the repository.

I agree that it sounds strange to upload the same image more than once to the system, but there is a gain in the way files are organized in PW. The fact that images are directly associated with pages makes it a lot easier to organize in most of the cases and more difficult that an image that is in use on the website is erased. It also makes it less probable that you have unused images wandering around because they get deleted with the page they are in.

lets say i have page gallery 1 and in it i have img1,img2,img3,img4.

I really think it's rare that this needs to happen. If you predict that this will happen a lot, then maybe it's even good that the system forces you to organize everything in a more efficient way (not thinking of images, but of groups of images organized in special pages for them). If it will only happen once or twice, I wouldn't worry about the duplication...

• Like 1

What I miss for images, is a good way to select them in Inputfieldtype Page. 

we have now: Select, SelectMultiple*, Checkboxes*, Radios, AsmSelect*, PageListSelect & PageListSelectMultiple*.

I wished Page Image Select type would extend this list. (showing a collage of images to select from, and even query-able )

The Page Image Select, should have some configurable settings. ( what field to look foor the image )

• Like 3

@ diogo

Lets say i made the site for my client. My client is a company and in it there will be 5 people administrating the site.

So after my job is finished my client have no access to thoes oryginal images, and non of thoes 5 admins can use same images on site (well meaby if they send it to eachother by email).

Having all files in one module make things easier cause they are accessible for all users of the site.

I would honestly donate some money for this to be developed.

Cheers

• Like 2