enabling mod_rewrite using php.ini file?

anowitz

I'm moving a PW site from a local environment to a dev site for a client hosted by register.com.  I've followed Ryan's directions here (thanks, Ryan - very clear and helpful!) and am getting an "internal server error" when I go to the root (found here) and am also getting this error when I try to access the admin page:

"Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 DAV/2mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at dev.callicoonfinearts.com Port 80"

I created a test.php file that executes phpinfo, among other things (test.php file can be found here.)  From what I can gather, mod_rewrite is not currently enabled.

I uncommented the "RewriteBase" line in .htacess so that it reads

RewriteBase /process/

and have tried placing the .htacess file in both my dev folder and in the site's public_html folder.

When none of these worked, I called register.com and was advised to enable mod_rewrite through a php.ini file that I should place in the public_html folder.

My question is - is it possible to enable mod_rewrite using a php.ini file?  (All the research I've done seems to .htaccess or httpd.conf as places where mod_rewrite should be enabled - some comments I've read have specifically said that because mod_rewrite is an apache module it has nothing to do with php or a php.ini file.)  Was I misinformed by the person at register.com, or am I missing something?

Thanks!!  Many frustrating hours spent on this already....