hCaptcha spam protection for ProcessWire forms

MoritzLost

@ngrmm Ok, I see the issue now. I have never used the generated markup (embed option D), so I haven't run into this issue yet.

The problem is the new bypass permission added in 2.0.0. Any user with this permission (the superuser has all permissions) will not see the captcha, the inputfield doesn't output any markup in this case. When you're generating the form builder markup, FormBuilder just renders the form with the current settings and outputs the resulting markup as a template (with some adjustments) as far as I can tell. But you're logged in while doing this, so the resulting markup will not include the hCaptcha code.

Not sure if I can solve this from within the module. I think you're going to have to manually add the hCaptcha markup to the generated template. Place this in the generated markup in the place where the hCaptcha is supposed to go:

<?= $form->getChildByName('hcaptcha')->render(); ?>

Replace hcaptcha with the name of the hCaptcha field in your form.

If this doesn't match the custom markup you need for this form, embed the form using one of the other embed methods, open the page with the form as the guest user and copy the generated markup from there. Then you can modify it as required. Or just include the inputfield manually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoritzLost said:

<?= $form->getChildByName('hcaptcha')->render(); ?>

@MoritzLost I added it this way. Thanks a lot for the help and the module!

Another question that I have:
If I wanted to add it manually, where in your snippet do you choose the specific form? Or would it add the hCaptcha to all forms?

// site/init.php
wire()->addHookAfter('ProcessPageEdit::buildForm', function (HookEvent $event) {
    $form = $event->return;
    $submitButton = $form->getChildByName('submit_save');
    if ($submitButton) {
        $hCaptcha = $event->wire('modules')->get('InputfieldHCaptcha');
        $hCaptcha->set('label', __('Spam Protection'));
        // ... configuration goes here
        $form->insertBefore($hCaptcha, $submitButton);
    }
    $event->return = $form;
});

• Like 1

@ngrmm The snippet above hooks into ProcessPageEdit::buildForm – this would add hCaptcha to the page edit forms in the backend, not to Form Builder forms. The example code would add the hCaptcha code to all page edit forms, but you could limit it to pages with specific templates. Through $event->object you have access to the ProcessPageEdit instance object, and $event->object->getPage() will get you the page being edited.

If you want to insert the hCaptcha field to all Form Builder forms programmatically, something like this should work, though I haven't tested it:

$forms->addHookBefore('FormBuilderProcessor::renderReady', function (HookEvent $event){
    $processor = $event->object;
    $form = $event->arguments('form');
    if ($processor->formName !== 'contact_form') {
        return;
    }

// insert hCaptcha
});

This should insert hCaptcha into a form named contact_form. Keep in mind that the selected embed method still needs to support this, so the caveat regarding embed method D still applies.

• Like 1