Disable A Language Whilst Translators Work On It

swampmusic

Trying to figure out work flow for translators on a new website and have hit a brick wall.

Site was launched in Spanish, now the translators want to add in other languages.

I presumed that when you tick the "active" language checkbox on settings for the home page, then the new language would not appear on the public facing website, but translators would be able to work with the pages in the admin and view their work.

Finally, once all translation had been completed, we could activate the language from the home page.

I have searched thru the forums and found older articles from 2015 here.

This seems a really messy hack, or did i miss something ?

Does anyone know if there has been an update within Processwire since 2015  to make this better/easier, or other articles explaining how to achieve it ?

We were looking for a solution that the client can use from within Admin. Not via .htaccess or similar that would require tech skills.

Many thanks for reading ?

With this solution it takes out all the ticked pages for a specific language from the front end public view and also seo ,which is good.

But, the translators cannot check if their work is ok without enabling the page ( which makes it public again ), then disabling it again. A bit messy as public or robots may view badly translated page, or translators may forget to disable a page again. Especially as some languages can screw up the layouts due to string lengths.

Are you familiar with the MaintenanceMode module ? This allows the site to be disabled, but certain user roles to edit pages and view them.

I was hoping to find a similar feature where certain user roles ( translators ) can still edit and view the pages they are translating, without them appearing in the public facing site.

Thanks for your speedy response though ?

27 minutes ago, swampmusic said:

But, the translators cannot check if their work is ok without enabling the page ( which makes it public again ), then disabling it again. A bit messy as public or robots may view badly translated page, or translators may forget to disable a page again. Especially as some languages can screw up the layouts due to string lengths.?

Just to correct, if you have edit right and a language or page is unpublished you still can see it if logged in. It's just that maybe something like the language nav that wouldn't show the switch link for that language, but it can be coded to be seen by editors. 

• Like 2