Linking directly between templates and field edit screens from pages

Vigilante

I haven't spent a ton of time on PW, just a handful of sites, but some things would make it easier to use. I bet there are plugins but I haven't spent a lot of time seeing what others use to solve this.

1) Easier access to the real name of a field.

I often have a page open in the editor, a field label might say "Description" but really the actual code name could be anything, such as "Markdown" I see sometimes for md fields. Also field names seem to be case sensitive and I've worked on sites that seem to have random field names with caps or not.

Is there a way to make it easier to read the code-based field name when I have a page open?

The current method is cumbersome. From a page edit scree, switch to the Settings tab to grab a look at what template its using. Then open the template to see what the fieldname is.

2) Direct link to template from page.

In similar vein, when I'm on a page in the Settings tab, it would be nice to have a direct link to open the template rather than look at it and then go find it in the UI.

3) Open a field directly from inside template edit screen.

When I'm viewing a template and I see the list of all the fields, I want a direct link to open the edit screen of a particular field.

---------

These three things are very common on client work because I don't always have every template and field name/label matched up and memorized. I'm constantly playing this dance of being in a page, then wanting to know the field name for code, so I have to go see what template it's using, then go look that up to see the fields, then look that up to see what field type it is, etc. For example, even bypassing having to open the template first would be good. If I could see a field and link directly to the field edit screen.

If any of you have techniques to simplify this, I'm all ears, or plugins or whatever you use.

6 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

Will it work when using alternate admin themes?

If there's not much modification in the markup they should work. Of course things may break if the theme applies CSS that interferes. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

1) Easier access to the real name of a field.

I often have a page open in the editor, a field label might say "Description" but really the actual code name could be anything, such as "Markdown" I see sometimes for md fields. Also field names seem to be case sensitive and I've worked on sites that seem to have random field names with caps or not.

Is there a way to make it easier to read the code-based field name when I have a page open?

The current method is cumbersome. From a page edit scree, switch to the Settings tab to grab a look at what template its using. Then open the template to see what the fieldname is.

Its not exactly what you are looking for, but do you know the „Tracy Debugger“ Module from adrian?

with this Module you can See all fields with names on the page ;) (And many many other things)

i think its a must have for processwire developers ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1