7 Tricks and Tips to Help You Become a ProcessWire Master - tuts+

benbyf

Having such information presented publicly is a great idea to help promote ProcessWire. Thanks to @benbyf for taking the initiative. The newspaper writing style certainly helps with content such as this. My only concern with this article is the wording. This is meant only as constructive criticism.

1. Bulk Delete Images in Admin
Sometimes pages in ProcessWire will store a few images, sometimes they'll contain hundreds. Should you need to get rid of them...

The way it is written, it implies that for some unknown reason ProcessWire (not the user) had created an arbitrary number of images within a page, and now you may want to remove them. To a new user, or prospective user, it implies they will have maintenance issues when working with ProcessWire. We know this is not the case. This tip's opening sentence might be more accurately written like so,

1. Bulk Delete Images in Admin
As you create your site content, you may have added any number of images to a particular page that are no longer wanted. Should you want to get rid of them...

2. Regain Entry to Backend
Every so often you may find yourself locked out of the ProcessWire Admin;...

This one really sticks out. The means by which a user gets 'locked out' is due to either pilot error, or an interruption in a critical process, and rarely due to some internal malfunction. It might be better to have written it like so, 

2. Regain Entry to Backend
For those times where you may have forgotten your administrative password, or if a poor network connection caused a critical process (like a site migration) to fail, you can reset the administrative password using this simple trick...

4. Upgrade ProcessWire
Upgrading is a chore for most CMS's. In ProcessWire however, it is generally a painless case...

Specifying a heading "Upgrade ProcessWire" and immediately opening with "Upgrading is a chore..." doesn't give a good first impression. While that statement is technically accurate, it might be better to lead with how simple the ProcessWire upgrade procedure is in relation to the complexity found with other platforms (without naming names).

/$0.02

Like I said, these are simply my comments meant as constructive criticism for future articles. Giving a good first impression is critical to our growth. I know there is no style guide associated with ProcessWire-related articles, so it might be a good idea for anyone wanting to write such articles in the future to ask a staff member to proof read it before publication for things like grammar, inflection, conveyance, etc.

And again, thanks to benbyf for making this contribution!

• Like 8

Feedback always welcome, so thanks.

1. First comment i believe that was me proofing reading badly and your right should have been more obviously on the user not PW.
  2. second. I believe you are indeed correct but I do find myself using this tip alot so there most be a reason... :/
  3. I think the wording here is fine :) but you're right, could be misleading, if you stopped reading.
  • Like 1

Thanks @benbyf for creating this.

2 hours ago, rick said:

Specifying a heading "Upgrade ProcessWire" and immediately opening with "Upgrading is a chore..." doesn't give a good first impression. 

Exactly what I thought when I read it :) 

It could be possibly tricky to have the reset admin password on the admin template, since you cannot predict who will access that... The tip is useful though, and would be probably too complicated for the scope of that article to explain about putting it into some more obscure template (like a console or tools/api);

$users->get('admin');

maybe needs to be

$users->get('name-of-superuser'); // change this to the actual 'name' of the user

• Like 2

Great tutorial Ben!

$users->get(41) will always be the superuser ;)

It could even be a oneliner:

$users->get(41)->setAndSave('password', 'mynewpassword');

But for tutorials it's sometimes better to be more verbose, so I would maybe show both ways.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input guys. Anything which may be useful to people please add in a comment on that article. Any critique please add here :)

3 minutes ago, bernhard said:

$users->get(41) will always be the superuser ;)

might be more thn one superuser

18 hours ago, Macrura said:

It could be possibly tricky to have the reset admin password on the admin template, since you cannot predict who will access that... The tip is useful though, and would be probably too complicated for the scope of that article to explain about putting it into some more obscure template (like a console or tools/api);

$users->get('admin');

maybe needs to be

$users->get('name-of-superuser'); // change this to the actual 'name' of the user

for me this is always by default "admin" but adding the specific name would work. I guess thats not obvious in the article

I edited my post above. Sure you can have multiple super users but it also happened to me that I forgot the name of the initial admin and I had to find out in the database... User id 41 can be very handy to know in those cases ;)

• Like 1