Self promotion etiquette

abdus

Hey guys,
I've recently started a blog on web development and ProcessWire, and I'm slowly building content to make it a habit and not let it become a failed experiment. I also believe that a good way to keep producing new content is to build an audience that cares about what you write and what you offer.

So, I've started writing a series on module development, from basic to complex, where I explore core modules and unearth the valuable documentation inside PW core and put them into practice. I'll be stripping core modules to their essentials like blueprints that people can build upon, and construct various modules that replicate popular ones on other platforms, or ones that bring some of their eye-caching features.

I haven't implemented a commenting system on my blog, because I want to share and collect feedback and recommendations here, in this forum. Is there an etiquette on promoting my own content? Is it welcome, or how much is OK, or how much is too much?

Thanks in advance,
Abdus.

• Like 15

I can't speak 'officially' toward ProcessWire rules regarding promoting personal sites. However, I do think that your ideas, examples, prototypes if you will, are very welcome by me and other newbies. :) I found your ajax order tutorial very beneficial and I would welcome many others you may offer. I even have a few suggestions for topics if you are interested.

I don't see anything wrong with putting a brief description (or outline) of each of your articles in the tutorial forum and include a link to the full article on your site. On a side note, having cross referenced links is good seo for you and ProcessWire both.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, rick said:

putting a brief description (or outline) of each of your articles

Yes, that must be a given. I'll be sure to create a detailed summary of the writing with a clear list of outcomes to ensure a good transition from forum->blog->forum.

I even have a few suggestions for topics if you are interested

I'd like hear those :). In fact, in the future if this initiative gets popular, I'll probably create a post where people can make requests.

having cross referenced links is good seo for you and ProcessWire both

That's a really good bonus that I didnt think about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arjen said:

I think a blogpost have more styling options than a long forum post.

Yeah, WYSIWYG is very restrictive when you know what you're doing. Github Flavored Markdown + custom markup is a godsent for writings with lots of moving parts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, abdus said:

Yeah, WYSIWYG is very restrictive when you know what you're doing. Github Flavored Markdown + custom markup is a godsent for writings with lots of moving parts.

Myself I am a big fan of Textile (coming from Textpattern years ago), but since Markdown has 'won' the battle I'm using this a lot too. Even some clients made the jump from WYSIWYG ^_^

Good luck with your blog and looking forward to your tutorials.

Edited by arjen
  • Like 1

Ok, so I've completed the first module and a detailed step by step write-up. 

https://abdus.co/blog/creating-a-simple-and-configurable-module-for-processwire/

It's a markup module that adds tracking code for analytics. It has hooks, hookable methods, and it's translatable and configurable. 

https://github.com/abdusco/pw-ga-lite

Once I make sure it's ready to go, and write a good intro, I'll create a separate post for it. 

• Like 14

On 5/3/2017 at 0:21 AM, abdus said:

https://abdus.co/blog/creating-a-simple-and-configurable-module-for-processwire/

It's a markup module that adds tracking code for analytics. It has hooks, hookable methods, and it's translatable and configurable. 

https://github.com/abdusco/pw-ga-lite

Once I make sure it's ready to go, and write a good intro, I'll create a separate post for it. 

Man I love the last part of "small tips". Those kind of things take me to the haute couture of module making :D.

• Like 2

On 3/05/2017 at 5:21 PM, abdus said:

Excellent tutorial. Not too verbose at all - I appreciated the detail and thoroughness. Good idea using the footnotes.

The tutorial was really well structured, the way you worked through the essential steps in order and ended with optional enhancements. Thanks for a great read!

• Like 1

The tutorial might have been a bit more verbose than I'd like

Got to disagree - I learnt a great deal, and I'm sure many others will appreciate having our hands held in a thorough and thoughtful way.

Very much looking forward to the next one!

• Like 5