Image handling

Kekko

Hi,

ProcessWire is great and I love it. Thanx to Ryan and all the other developers. Nevertheless, I have a question and need help. In Wordpress (I am absolutly not a fan of WP) when ever you insert an image into an article or define an image as the articles image you will be diverted to the media page. There, you can select an image an insert it either as article image or directly into the article.

In ProcessWire it is also possible to create a template and a page and collect all images in this page. In other pages you can select the images from this page. So you can insert images from this page directly into the text on any page. This is fine.

But it is not possible to insert images from the "image page" into an image-field on any page or make reference to them. That means whenever you want use a defined image you have to upload it. On each page which uses this same image. This is really not the best way. Because in my case I must use a special image in several pages and I don't want to upload it on each page.

Is there any other solution?

Thanx for your answers

Kekko

Hi Kekko,

Welcome to the PW forums!

In PW, image and file fields effectively store the images/files for the page they are on. Currently there is no fieldtype module released in the modules directory that acts a reference to images/files stored on another page. There have been a number of questions and requests about such a feature (for example here, here, here and here) and you could throw your support behind the item in the wishlist subforum here.

I for one would love to see an image reference field for PW and it's on my list to have a go at developing some time but I fear it will be beyond my skill level.

The only alternative to an image reference field that I'm aware of is to follow a page-per-image approach (i.e. each image is uploaded to a separate page, and then you use a Page fieldtype to reference the image in other pages). I haven't tried them, but there are some modules that can help if you want to use this approach:

AutoImagePages

ImagesManager

FieldtypeImagesSelect

...and two commercial modules from @kongondo...

Media Manager

Visual Page Selector

• Like 3