Is ProcessWire 3 safe for production?

steveooo

Hey folks,

I must ask this recurring mother of all questions:

Is it now safe to use ProcessWire 3 (currently 3.0.8) for production?

Ryan wrote that some people use it on production sites, so I would like to know if you feel that ProcessWire 3 is stable now or if it has some (minor or major) bugs.

Thanks for your answers!

Right now we are busy with 2 big data projects and both we do in PW3. It's quite stable, but all software has bugs. For us the reason to choose PW3 is to be ready for the future. ImportPagesCSV for example doesn't work but next to that I do not see many issues. On the other hand, both projects have no front-end, so no testing over there :-).

I think when the time allows potential slowdowns due to bugs, it's good to live cutting edge and support ProcessWire with bug reports.

• Like 6

I am working on 2 Sites going only within the next month. Another big one going online maybe in June. A private site is already online. Until now everything is working quite stable. Look forward, not backwards. :)

• Like 4

I'm migrating a massive project that consists of about 15 business systems (like Martijn's they have no front-end), but the same install also powers a fairly large University level public site. It's just on a dev server for now, but so far we haven't found anything broken. Nothing. Zero. I still can't believe it, but there's a lot that remains to be tested.

• Like 5

I have two of my own sites (weekly.pw and streetworkoutpori.fi) running on 3.x and so far everything has been pretty smooth.

When I initially updated ProcessWire Weekly from 2.7 to 3.x I had to go through some hoops and a few modules were not working as expected, but most of those were related to early issues in File Compiler. Now that these issues have been fixed, I would say that 3.x is relatively stable. The sites I've built from scratch using 3.x never had any issues.

Since 3.x is a development branch, you might want to wait a few days after Ryan's "friday updates" before updating your site, especially if it's already live, though. That way you can make sure that no new issues were introduced :)

• Like 5

Hey teppo - I like Google's translation of your role on the board of directors of Street Workout Pori ry.

Housekeeper: Teppo Koivula

How do you look in a maid's uniform? :)

PS No sexual stereotyping intended - just a lame attempt at humor :)

PPS Maybe that translation is legitimate - just sounds strange to an English speaker as it's not a term we would use for a role on a board of directors.

• Like 2

Hey teppo - I like Google's translation of your role on the board of directors of Street Workout Pori ry.

How do you look in a maid's uniform? :)

PS No sexual stereotyping intended - just a lame attempt at humor :)

PPS Maybe that translation is legitimate - just sounds strange to an English speaker as it's not a term we would use for a role on a board of directors.

Adrian, I give you – in the spirit of the Oscars – the golden medal for "Best Off-Topic Comment in February 2016" for this comment!

Congratulations, you earned it! :)

• Like 3

Your translation is technically correct, but so far no-one has tried to force a maid's uniform on me. To answer your question, I bet I'd look awesome in one of those. As a potential downside my credibility could take a slight hit in the process.

Seriously speaking "financial officer" or something along those lines would be a better translation in this case :P

• Like 3

There are no changes on database level, so you could downgrade as long you don't rely on pw3.0 only modules. 

Hi Martijn! That's a good answer! Because: files merging via Git is easy on files but on databases not great.

How do you know that the database won't change until 3.0 release?

https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire/tree/devns

Downgrading to 2.7

So long as you haven't modified your template or module files to add PW 3.x specific code to them (like a namespace), you can easily switch between ProcessWire 2.7 and 3.0 simply by swapping the /wire/ directory and /index.php file from the appropriate version. ProcessWire 3.x doesn't make changes to the database, so the database should be identical between 2.7 and 3.0.

• Like 4