PW 02 site reading PW 01 files

Peter Knight

Hi 

I have this really stubborn issue which has gobbled up my evening. It's clearly a caching issue or a .htaccess but nothing seems to resolve it.

I have a site on domain.com and VPS 01

Because I want to develop some ideas on a separate test server, I made an exact copy of the site and database onto temp-domain.com and VPS 02

Any template and include changes I upload to VPS 02 are not showing up.

The templates files are on the VPS 02 server and the file manager confirms this. However VPS 02 ProcessWire install is clearly reading files from VPS 01.

To  confirm this I make a small change to the footer running on VPS 01. I reload VPS 01 and VPS 02 and both sites show the updated footer.

These are the steps I've taken to clean things up.

• disabled ProCache
  • cleared the site>assets and site>cache folders
  • ensured that both config files have the proper httpHosts set

but somewhere, VPS 02 is getting it's base path from VPS 01

Furthermore, I can confirm this by viewing the source and mouse-over a CSS file.

The root host path is displayed as domain.com/path/to/file for a split second before it displays temp-domain.com

Any ideas? Both sites have the same database name, userAuthSalt, user login etc etc so there's lots of room for error.

I saw a post regarding running PHP as an Apache Module instead of Fast CGI. This makes no difference to my issue.

Are you using separate databases or the same database?

I'm using separate databases. Both databases have the same names, usernames and passwords though but they're on different servers.

I'm not sure that's an issue though because making an admin change works fine. It's just the template files and includes which incorrectly all come from VPS 01.

Can you 100% ensure that you are not fetching ProCache files??

You can go the hard way and comment out the complete ProCache section in htaccess, rename the ProCache root directories manually, additionally to (only) disabling PC.

Ok- I found the issue.

When you preview a site in Plesk, you can choose a preview URL for the website which generates a kind of URL as follows

website-space.com.XX-XXX-XXX-XX.preview-url.com

XX etc is the server IP address.

My problem was caused because the preview-url.com had some DNS issues and a .htaccess error too.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Looking forward now to a strong coffee and several hours redesigning this thing!

• Like 1

On my former job we had several servers all with different versions of plesk. For each server we used the Reseller part of plesk and managing a multitude of hosts. The biggest problem are all those options and screens and on every single version it is arranged in other places. Finding the things I need was quite challenging for me. 

Arjen introduced me to SeverPilot (kind of wrapper for Digital Ocean) and I love it.