Mobile version of website

formmailer

Hi all,

A couple of months ago there was a discussion about having a mobile version of a PW website. I wondered if there is someone who actually made a mobile site. It would be interesting to see a site like this in the showcase forum.

/Jasper

I just did one - responsive, using http://foundation.zurb.com/. It is live, but needs just a little bit more work before I'd be happy publicising it. ;)

Just thinking about it, PW is probably the perfect platform for delivering a desktop and a mobile version - you could use subsets of the same content, which is a solution to the argument against separate mobile versions needing separate maintenance - it would just be two sets of templates. That said, responsive designs even alleviate that need.

I think I'm going to use the two template approach on one site just because it's a reasonably complicated layout and is quite image-heavy when you get into the articles. That way I can serve up a mobile-optimised layout with much smaller images.

Just got to finish the normal site first ;)

I think I'm going to use the two template approach on one site just because it's a reasonably complicated layout and is quite image-heavy when you get into the articles. That way I can serve up a mobile-optimised layout with much smaller images.

Just got to finish the normal site first ;)

Seems to be a pretty good way to do it. I have a similiar plan for my site.

Cool, looking forward to see these designs.

Diogo and DaveP, your designs looked pretty good on a mobile! :)

Just to clarify, Foundation is the framework I used for the new site, not the actual site.

Just to clarify, Foundation is the framework I used for the new site, not the actual site.

:rolleyes: I didn't read your reply carfully enough, sorry about that. Anyway, the Foundation framework website looks pretty good on a mobile phone. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I used media queries to make a PW site responsive, at least for the iPhone. Pretty easy and fun to do. Check it out either on a mobile or simply rescale your browser. It was fun to set up and easy to do.

http://www.eastsidenurseryschool.org

The only thing I am not fond of is my treatment of the sub navigation menu on some pages. If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them!

• Like 1

I'm not a big fan of hiding things. maybe they could be accommodated some how... I still like your blog very much! I even subscribed to your feed, even tough I don't know German :)

edit: why not keeping two buttons: menu and suche, and put all your navigation on a vertical dropdown on the menu button? just throwing the first thing that came to my mind...