Text responsability

pwired

Hi,

Almost finished a website but had some real arguements with the client about his text.

There were some clear mistakes in both word use and translation. In the end it had to

be done the way the client wanted it, no matter mistakes, or wrong translations.

To avoid this in the future, next time I want to put things like this on paper before I

start doing a website to have it clear black on white who has end responsability.

How are you guys dealing with these matters ?

I usually make clear in my offer/cost estimate whether I am responsible for the wording or the client. This helps to avoid problems at a later stage. Also to make clear that time I put into wording review and improvement will be charged extra.

PS: maybe this should be moved to the dev talk thread? 

How are you guys dealing with these matters ?

I generally state in my Service Agreement that the client is responsible for creating copy/text for use on the site. I also specifically state that if it needs improvement, it will be sent to my editors. Then, I run it past the client, explaining what has changed and why, as stated by the editors. If the client is not happy with the changes, I revert, and it becomes their issue.

In some cases, the client is a start-up, and we generate new copy together, starting with a full list of products/services and some details about them.

That said, it really does depend on the client, and how familiar they are the marketing practise. In the case of my business, it is essential for the client to understand that, by doing their website and other marketing materials, I am their marketer, and so I should know a better approach when I see one. At the end of the day, my business is here to help - if they don't want extensive help, then I can't force it upon them.

PS: maybe this should be moved to the dev talk thread? 

Indeed, I think so.

@gebeer is right, this has very little to do with ProcessWire, and doesn't belong to General Support. Dev Talk is technically reserved for "development and coding discussions", so I'm moving this to Pub instead. Please feel free to continue the discussion there :)

It's not often I have to deal with “external” customers, but my experience is that text is a big bottleneck that is both approval and delivery. ProcessWire is the perfect CONTENT MANAGEMENT system, so I provide them all the tools to edit their content.

While developing I use lorem ipsum and for images I use http://lorempixel.com/400/300/. (for example) 
Waiting for the customer is frustrating for you as developer and customers will blame you when their product take long to develop. 
I would rather finish their website quick then upload it to a 'private' place. Then the customer can content manage their own website.  
They are the ones who know best their product.
  • Like 1