Posting free plugins when paid (Ryan's) exist with similar functionality

Pierre-Luc

I've been developing a vote/like module that is starting to become mature enough for release. I just found out that Ryan has recently published his Like module which is similar to mine.

My question is basically this : is it ok to post free plugins when paid ones exist, especially Ryan's?

I see Processwire as an open system and don't see any reason why not. I don't think there are any rules saying that if there is a paid module that someone else can't also release a free module that is similar. If that was the case I would start to feel a little worried about how open processwire is.

I think there can be benefits to having both free and paid modules.

For example Ryans modules have full support and updates from him which can be seen as a huge benefit over a free module so a free module might not always be the first choice over a paid module. Also some of the more richer users of Processwire will want to pay up the money for a paid module to support Processwire on top of the advantages of paying for a fully supported module from Ryan.

I understand why you asked the question and I have wondered before what the reaction of Ryan and the community would be to free modules that do a similar task to any paid modules.

My opinion is that it is only healthy for the community to have free and paid options even if they do similar things.

Of course it would be interesting to hear Ryan's personal feelings on this.

• Like 1

I think there can be benefits to having both free and paid modules.

For example Ryans modules have full support and updates from him which can be seen as a huge benefit over a free module so a free module might not always be the first choice over a paid module. Also some of the more richer users of Processwire will want to pay up the money for a paid module to support Processwire on top of the advantages of paying for a fully supported module from Ryan.

Totally agree with that, I see why people would want to pay and have support (largely do myself). But I'd really like to have a blessing from Ryan before I move on. :)

Pierre-Luc it's nice of you to ask, but also unnecessary. That's always your choice if you want to release something you've created. There aren't any restrictions on what can be released as free modules (so long as they don't use code from commercial ones). 

• Like 9