Best way to "sync" localdev and liveserver database?!

OrganizedFellow

So I've been using GIT for a little while now.

I'm sure my host server supports it. I've just been using it locally with several commits and branches. Nothing complicated at all. I've been using SFTP to update my site files. I will explore (later this week) committing changes to my live website though.

My question to you folks:

How do you sync or merge, update your database?

Do you prefer manually with phpmyadmin or another tool? (Personally I like adminer.)

Or do you have some automated method or scripting that does some magic for you?

:)

I have no problem doing things manually, as I have for a long time. I guess I am a creature of habit. I do LIKE using GIT and it's made its way into my workflow fairly easily.

Smarter people than me would have some git hook worked out. As I don't really use git (because I work alone [sniff]) although I am trying to learn the thing. I upload the db manually via phpmyadmin and my site files via ftp. If it's just me I can't see the point of uploading to a git repo then paying for a service to deploy it. If I was working with others on coding a site git would be the go for sure.

• Like 4

Smarter people than me would have some git hook worked out. As I don't really use git (because I work alone [sniff]) although I am trying to learn the thing. I upload the db manually via phpmyadmin and my site files via ftp. If it's just me I can't see the point of uploading to a git repo then paying for a service to deploy it. If I was working with others on coding a site git would be the go for sure.

I've seen plenty of those deploy services, but I too work alone. I can't justify the cost of them, unless I end up having a dozen or so repos belonging to different sites.

If you're still using phpmyadmin, check out http://www.adminer.org/

It's a single file replacement. Works great.

• Like 3

I've seen plenty of those deploy services, but I too work alone. I can't justify the cost of them, unless I end up having a dozen or so repos belonging to different sites.

If you're still using phpmyadmin, check out http://www.adminer.org/

It's a single file replacement. Works great.

I've seen it mentioned here before. I'll give it go. :)

• Like 1

Adminer is great, you can even paste the entire content of the file into a pw template and have it in the admin. This way it's protected with two passwords ;)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So I've been using GIT for a little while now.

I'm sure my host server supports it. I've just been using it locally with several commits and branches. Nothing complicated at all. I've been using SFTP to update my site files. I will explore (later this week) committing changes to my live website though.

There was a thread about this here: http://processwire.com/talk/topic/5417-using-git-with-a-cms-for-version-control-and-deployment-on-multiple-machines/#entry53501

• Like 2