Admin theme install how to (really)

tiptronic

I just downloaded ProcessWire 2.4.0.

I wanted to change the admin theme to 'Teflon'. (Oh btw... there should be a mention somewhere that this one relies on jQueryDataTables - for whatever reason).

So I tried to follow a couple of installation hints on the forum, but there seem to be different variations, and I can't get even one of them to work:

- it seems that putting the modules into 'site/template-admin' doesn't do the job

- but I couldn't get it to work by putting it into AdminThemeTeflon (along with an additional AppminThemTeflon.module), as mentioned somewhere else in the forums.

- so I tried the built-in Module management. I typed in 'Teflon' and it downloaded 'teflon-admin-them-pw2' from github. And then it says: 'Successfully copied to new directory: /site/modules/Teflon' (indeed, it's there)

-> Clicking 'Install now' just does nothing

- ok I downloaded the ModulesManager (and while the ModulesManager installs fine - the Teflon theme doesn't show up in PW).

What am I doing wrong?

Setup:

- iMac OSX 10.9.2

- Safari (latest), Chrome Canary (latest) -> identical results

- AMMPS -latest (http://www.ampps.com) - everything else is running fine

- since it runs locally (localhost) there should be sufficient rights as well

BTW: the Teflon github-page says, it's for PW 2.1, while the Modules-page says, it's compatible up to 2.4.

Obviously the help needs some love, doesn't it? (OK - maybe I'm just too stupid )

Any help (in any case) appreciated

• Like 2

Sorry, Teflon is currently not compatible for 2.3+/2.4 I think the module page on modules.processwire.com was updated for all in one step and it's module developers task to check our modules. Just haven't come around to make it, I think it would be a good time now :) Sorry for the inconvenience this may caused. I will update the info.

Also ModulesManager need to somehow account for that (installing admin themes in 2.4). Just give me some time to think how and when. Since there now multiple changes going on old and new theme is a big step :)

• Like 2

so I tried the built-in Module management. I typed in 'Teflon' and it downloaded 'teflon-admin-them-pw2' from github. And then it says: 'Successfully copied to new directory: /site/modules/Teflon' (indeed, it's there)

-> Clicking 'Install now' just does nothing

That would be Ryan's task :)

Thanks for the clarification. I am currently investigating switching to PW for my new backends. So what would you recommend? Installing an older version of PW? How can I find out what's compatible with PW 2.4, if it's own module-pages are incorrect?

I feel a little lost ;)

ah... one more thing: Is 2.4 compatible with the language-modules?

I am about to create a new website which needs to cover a couple of different languages.

Tiptronic, first, welcome to PW and the forums... :)

Which languages module are you referring to? If you are talking about LanguageSupport and family, they are part of the core. It would be worrisome if they were not compatible with 2.4 :-)

http://processwire.com/api/multi-language-support/

As for Admin Themes, are you seriously contemplating using an older version of PW just so that you can use Teflon? That's some serious love right there! :biggrin:  Jokes aside, in the interim, why not just use the core admin themes that ship with PW? The benefits of PW 2.4 far outweigh not using Teflon in the interim... ;)

And now I must go and hide before Soma..... :-X  :ph34r:  

Edited by kongondo

Hi kongondo,

thanks for the welcome!

To tell you the truth: I don't know which language-modules I'm referring to  O0 ... currently to me it's not really obvious, what's in the core and what's needed to have multiple language-content. I'll play with the stuff in the next couple of days and hopefully this will shed some light on everything ;)

As far as Teflon is concerned: This was just my first shot! I wanted to understand how PW works. But nothing worked, so I felt a little stumped, because I didn't understand what I was doing wrong... For now, it leaves a (little) bitter taste, since I'm completely unsure how to check-out the framework, if the supported modules are un-supported (pun intended)  :huh:

What I'd really appreciate, if there was an API/modules documentation per version: e.g. something like:

http://processwire.com/api/2.2

http://processwire.com/api/2.3

or http://processwire.com/2.2/api/...

...especially if things are drastically change (as it is obviously the case).

For a newbie like me, it's not easy to understand, if the problem is inside or in front of the computer.

Let's see, how far I come. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On the left side menu there is core

Also if you install PW, in the in-built Module "section" - there are three tabs - site | core | new

Yes! And if you go to "new" and type in "Teflon" it doesn't complain and we"re at the beginning of this thread again

tiptronic,

The way of installing admin themes changed drastically in PW 2.4 which hasn't been out very long. I would recommend that at the moment you steer clear of alternate admin themes until we have some new ones designed for 2.4 - I know there is one very close to being ready.

So, try the modules manager for installing other cool modules - lots of great tools to try:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/?sort=-likes (here are the most popular ones on top), or just sort by likes in the modules manager itself :)

Is there any functionality in particular that we can help you with?

• Like 4

@adrian: Thanks - meanwhile I got it  ;)

But as I said (somewhere above); this was just a coincidence, since I simply choose *something* to see what I can do and was immediately trapped....

I'll investigate further and use less complicated modifications (something like my own code  :P )

Anyway - thanks for this kind (and complicated) welcome and I'm looking forward doing anything serious with the framework, because it *really* looks very promising: feature-wise, speed-wise and flexibility-wise... I really appreciate you folks putting so much into this and still keep it uncluttered™ (except of the things mentioned in this thread )

• Like 1

Just stepping in to say that it's a real shame how complicated things have gone for you, @tiptronic. That's absolutely not how things usually go with PW, you just jumped in at somewhat bad time. Quite a few changes going on :)

I've just reported the problem you mentioned (installing existing Admin Themes via Modules) as an issue at GitHub. Like Soma mentioned earlier, I'm sure Ryan will handle that.

Slightly off-topic, but the way Modules section handles non-compatible modules was a bit of a surprise to me too. This was actually the first time I used that thing and I entirely missed the note about Teflon not "necessarily" being 2.4 compatible. Bad combination -- small and unnoticeable message at the bottom of the screen and a hasty user.

Personally I would've been happy with Modules section not allowing installing non-compatible modules at all (you can always do that manually, making it this easy is IMHO not such a good idea), but putting that aside, the error message is awfully unobtrusive. How 'bout (at least) adding a big notice at the top of the screen, warning that you're doing this on your own risk?

Edit: ended up opening another issue for this..

• Like 3

@tiptronic,

Apologies if I sounded somewhat brash in my earlier posts. It was late here. Again, welcome to PW. You will love it, am sure. And of course, don't shy away from asking questions...keep 'em coming...they help us too  :lol:

cheers,

k

• Like 1