issue inserting images from other pages

Marty Walker

Hi,

I'm having an issue inserting images from other pages. I'm inserting into a wysiwyg field from another page that has an image field populated. I can navigate and see the image but when I insert it it disappears.

Not sure if this an expected behaviour or a bug.

Regards

Martin

Martin, I think Safari may not have not loaded the new JS. You might have to clear your cache and/or hit reload on the page once or twice. Sometimes Safari can be a little tricky with cache. Also, I'm assuming we're talking about PW 2.1 (not PW 2.0), but let me know if I'm incorrect.

• 6 months later...

Lpa, I'm assuming you are running the latest PW (2.2.0.1), but let me know if not. I'm running Safari 5.1.2 as well, on 10.6.8. But I can't duplicate this. I'm always suspicious of cache issues with Safari. Is anyone else able to duplicate?

I am actually using 2.2.0. What is the best way to update: "git pull https://github.com/ryancramerdesign/ProcessWire.git" or something else?

You can do that, or you can download the ZIP and replace the /wire/ directory from your installation with the /wire/ directory from the ZIP. When not using git, I usually rename the existing /wire/ dir in my site to /wire.old/ temporarily, just in case I need to revert.

Is the drag and drop of images supposed to work with Safari?

Yes, everything should work in Safari. Though I would use Chrome over Safari to avoid the continuous beachballing on every site I visit with it (or maybe that's just my computer). :)

Well, now I have updated to 2.2.0.1 and now I can select the picture from another page.

But I still can't drag and drop the pictures with Safari. I don't even see the text "drag and drop files in here" in the image field. What should I try next?

Actually this sounds familiar now, I think I remember that Safari for some reason does not support drag-drop file uploads. That was awhile ago that I remember talking about this before, and figured they would have fixed it by now. It seems like Apple is not giving much love to Safari lately.

I just checked what the missing feature is, and it seems that we require filereader API: http://caniuse.com/#feat=filereader (not supported in Safari 5.0, 5.1 and support unknown for 6.0). BTW: IE 10 will have it, and even Opera mobile and Android browser can handle it...

I also noticed that we don't actually check for drag and drop support. This fails in Opera 11, since it supports everything else but not drag & drop. It seems that feature check for that one isn't so simple than with other features, so if Opera 11 is only problem, then we might live with that.

I just checked what the missing feature is, and it seems that we require filereader API: http://caniuse.com/#feat=filereader (not supported in Safari 5.0, 5.1 and support unknown for 6.0). BTW: IE 10 will have it, and even Opera mobile and Android browser can handle it...

I found this: http://www.deadmarshes.com/Blog/20110413023355.html which tells me that you might fix the drag and drop to work even with Safari on Mac?

Lpa, I'm assuming you are running the latest PW (2.2.0.1), but let me know if not. I'm running Safari 5.1.2 as well, on 10.6.8. But I can't duplicate this. I'm always suspicious of cache issues with Safari. Is anyone else able to duplicate?

No, it works like a charm here safari 5.1.2 osx 10.6.8. I can see the image select resize and insert it.

No, it works like a charm here safari 5.1.2 osx 10.6.8. I can see the image select resize and insert it.

I can also insert pictures from other pages without problems with the default admin templates. I was using the Futura admin templates when I had problems.

But Soma, can you drag and drop images with Safari? That is another question we have been discussing here.