General question with drag-upload images vs Matrix, dreaming of extension-based repeater matrix creation

joe_g

Hi there,

In almost every project I find myself wanting to use the images field for being able to drag many images at once to one field. It's super convenient. However then I loose the ability to be able to mix other filetypes in the same collection. Usually, after a while clients come back and want to have a video in there somewhere or perhaps even an embed. Then I have to rethink how that works and by using repeater matrix the interface becomes clunkier (new 'image' -> upload -> new 'video' -> upload, etc).

I'm dreaming now but it would be amazing with drag and drop support for repeater matrix, repeater items are automatically created from the file-type (jpg and mp4 mostly). Not sure where I'm going with this, mostly I wanted if I missed something or if this idea could work. I know there are some media library extensions around but I could never befriend them 100%. 

best J

Pagegrid looks like a great visual page builder, that's not what I'm after.

I'm after dragging multiple files and have them organize themselves after filetype, so I can have the simplicity of the images field but with the flexibility of the repeater matrix

@joe_g PAGEGRID would still work for this usecase check this post. You can setup the field, so the client can only sort the items and add new ones. I am happy to provide examples here if you want to try it.

An alternative to PAGEGRID is adding custom fields to your images/files field. This is a core feature, so no need for additional modules. This way you can let the client select a video/embed as an alternative for the image.