Local install problem

ricknew

Hi Folks,

Ran an install at Media Temple hosting which went just fine.

Downloaded the remote files to my local machine.  Updated Config.php for external DB access.

I'm getting the following error when trying to run the site:

Exception: DB connect error 2000 - mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication. Please use an administration tool to reset your password with the command SET PASSWORD = PASSWORD('your_existing_password'). This will store a new, and more secure, hash value in mysql.user. If this user is used in other scripts executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file (in \Projects\UntyeNet\wire\core\ProcessWire.php line 96)

I tried updating my password as I think the error message suggests, but no luck. Any one else run into this issue or have an idea for a fix?

Thanks!

Rick

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot that but I do believe ProcessWire will require PHP 5.3 minimum at some point in the not-too-distant future so I'm hoping someone can help you with the 5.3 issue you encountered.

You should be fine for now though but thought that that was worth mentioning.

Exception: DB connect error 2000 - mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication.

Media Temple isn't still using MySQL 4.1 are they? I thought they finally switched to 5 about a year ago. I had a client there that was using a legacy application that was not MySQL 5 compatible. Media Temple's little "change" broke their entire site. I had to setup a MySQL 4.1 server for them elsewhere just to bring it back.

The issue is only on my local machine. The site runs fine on Media Temple with PHP 5.3. I've just installed a fresh version of XAMPP so I'm confused at what's going on. I'm moving over from .NET, so this world is new to me.

Created  a local database for PW and everything now works fine, even when running on PHP 5.3. I still don't understand why I can connect to MT mySQL on the remote server but not locally (PHP 5.3 on both servers)  MT is running mySQL 5.1.66

Created  a local database for PW and everything now works fine, even when running on PHP 5.3. I still don't understand why I can connect to MT mySQL on the remote server but not locally (PHP 5.3 on both servers)  MT is running mySQL 5.1.66

Are you actually trying to connect to MT's MySQL server from outside of MT's network? I'm guessing they don't allow outside connections to their MySQL servers. Actually, I'm almost sure of it, as I've tried before (though it was while ago). :) 

Yes, I was trying to connect outside of the network.. However, MT does provide an external hostname and an allowed IP list for external access. 

There seem to be a lot of folks running into the "Exception: DB connect error 2000 - mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication." issue,but none of the fixes worked for me. Some of the fixes require access to the DB configuration settings which cost extra at MT. 

Thanks.  On another note, I'm enjoying delving into the Blog Profile setup. It's a great way to start understanding PW. For my first foray into PHP you've made a really nice space to learn.

Hi OrganizedFellow,

I don't need to connect to the MT mySQL (staging) instance, but I'd like to have that option. It bugs me that I can't make a simple remote connection.  

I'm sure it's a security issue with MediaTemple.

I once tried that same scenario, to connect from my localhost LAMP install, to my webhost MySQL database. Everything I tried would NOT work.

I finally decided to LiveChat with a host rep and they said it was disabled would could be turned on on a case-by-case basis, as long as I submitted a ticket request.

"Exception: DB connect error 2000 - mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure authentication."

I don't think there are any firewall or AV issues. The connection is happening. It is the authentication that is failing.

Sounds like you have a password incompatibility problem - there is a different character length between versions.

Have a search on Stack Overflow - there are a lot of posts about this - maybe one will help you.

• 4 months later...